PDA

View Full Version : told to give amitriptyline a try good or bad ???

sazlebazle
26-07-12, 17:34
after going to the doctors for a check up and deciding ssris arent for me after 4 times trying different ones and making me really ill the doctor has told me to give amitriptyline a try isint this still an antidepressant and will it effect me in the same way the doctor says the side effects are minimal on this one but im still petrified after the last couple of attempts on prozac and cit ...... does anyone else take this and if so is it as horrible as all the others ???? i really want to get myself together before my son goes back to school but i also cant be to out of its only me and my son so i need to have my wits about me
many thanks for reading

martlou
26-07-12, 18:12
This worked wonders for me! I get tension headache quite often, before I was prescribed amitriptyline I tried everything to help my headaches, that would sometimes be continuous for days and not one thing worked. Now if I feel a tension headache coming I take one before bed and will not wake up with it the next day! :-) Also I use them as sleeping pills too if I'm restless or just need a good nights sleep. I only take the 10mg dose, I know you can get them in 20mg also.

So all good from me, but everyone is different. Maybe give them a try and see what happens. At one point I took them every night for over a year, now I just take them here and there.

Hope this helps :-)

sazlebazle
26-07-12, 18:33
thanks for the reply although i suffer with anxiety i take stemetil for that the amitriptyline for me is also for headaches ive heard to take them 12 hrs before you have to get up the next day does that sound right .....

martlou
26-07-12, 18:50
I get anxiety too, which leads to my headaches, palpitations and dodgy stomach etc.

I have never really had a problem with feeling drowsy the next day on the 10mg tablets, I usually take them an hour before I go to bed. But if you were taking 20mg dose then yah maybe 12 hours would be about right.

sazlebazle
26-07-12, 19:56
my headaches are stress/anxiety related mine can last a couple of days at a time i just want something to work now i took my first one tonight about 6.45 im only on 10mg so fingers crossed it will be plain sailing i can handle the dry mouth etc just dont want the dizzyness cause thats what flares my anxiety up :(

martlou
27-07-12, 03:24
Let us know how you get on. I have no side effects at all with them, maybe they will be a good choice for you too :)

sazlebazle
27-07-12, 07:36
dont feel to bad this morning a little bit more tired this morning but i was awake at 3 but managed to go back of still got abit of a headache but better than it was yesterday im feeling slightly anxious waiting for something to happen but who knows :)

sazlebazle
11-08-12, 17:26
well 8 tablets in on 10mg and so far seem to be doing ok abit of dizzyness now and then but nothing to scary feeling slightly better in myself and more positive about things im back at work although im only working part time and got my son back into his old school as i now feel more positive to drive him i was looking to move him as it was a 20min drive everyday and was begining to think i wouldnt be able to take him if i had a headache etc (no headaches since i started) fingers crossed the dizzyness will pass soon although i do suffer dizzyness its part of my anxiety reaction, will things get better now do you thing day by day