PDA

View Full Version : New to this & feeling stupid

fran43
20-07-06, 14:12
Basically I got addicted to tranquillisers and decided to stop tacking them. My GP will not withdraw me slowly and gives me a very small amount. I have loads of panic attacks, feeling unreal, tense muscles, no concentration, unable to sit still and believe this wont get better. I have been off high doses for 8 weeks now.

My dad died recently, I have a teenager who is four months pregnant. My husband is supportive and drives me to places but the unreal feeling puts me off going into public places. My youngest does not understand what my feelings are despite that I try and tell him how I feel.

Can anyone relate to these feelings and how do you get over this without the need for being "sedated"?

kris 1
20-07-06, 14:27
Hi Fran,
And welcome,i have the same feelings as you aswell,it is called depersonalisation-the feeling of unrealness/in a dreamlike state,it is a scary place to be,but is a fairly common offshoot of anxiety.It does become better with understanding and time.you will find plenty of help and support here and you are definately not alone with what you are feeling.Take care

Kris

manmoor
20-07-06, 14:29
Hi Fran,

Aw hun your going through a lot at the minute. We are all here for you and will help in whatever way we can.

Thinking of you

Mandy
xx

carlin
20-07-06, 14:50
Hi Fran, so sorry you are feeling so rough right now but is it any wonder mate? You are grieving, in shock coping with your teenage, coming off medicines and have a younger child to think about. Try, if possible, to deal with one thing at a time. Take each day slowly. Have a look through all the information on this site, which will help you understand why you are feeling so bad, and that you are certainly not alone in having any of these feelings. take things easy and keep in touch xx

jackie
20-07-06, 15:14
hi fran

this is a feeling tat many people describe and when i get it it is horrible

have you ever read claire weekes " self help for your nerves " which would explain alot

i hope you feel this site will make you feel less alone

jackie

Piglet
20-07-06, 15:40
When I am struggling I try to go back to basics - mainly for me this means living only in the day that you are in. Not too much looking to the future and not too much looking in the past.

Concentrate on just the present moment. An example of this is say you are washing up, don't allow yourself to daydream while you are doing it but concentrate on just washing up, describing to yourself how hot the water is, how bubbly it is, what the colour of the plate is. You get the idea - doing this gives your mind a much needed rest from anxious and stressful thoughts.

If you practice doing this while you are carrying out tasks through the day regularly, you get good at it and it helps relieve a stressed head.

Its sometimes referred to a 'mindfulness'!

Try it hun, its not too hard and its free!!!

Love Piglet xx

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

scoobygirl2005
20-07-06, 15:42
Hi.

Welcome to the forum. You will find lots of help and support here.

Scooby2005
x x

nomorepanic
20-07-06, 16:09
Fran

Welcome aboard and lovely to see you here.

Hope you get some support.

Nicola

polly daydream
20-07-06, 17:14
Hi Fran and welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear you are going through so much at the moment, I think most people with anxiety can relate to what you are describing, you are certainly not alone hun.

Best wishes,

Polly

marie ross
20-07-06, 17:34
Hi Fran,

Welcome to the forum, you will find a lot of help and good friends in here.

Take care.

Marie XXX

Sue K with 5
20-07-06, 17:35
Hello fran

welcome to NMP !! wow thats a tough one but many people have had similar addictions have found alternatives to this.

Just read the forum and look at the alternative therapies especially.

We are all here to support you fran so dont give up

Sue with 5

xx

scknight

Karen
20-07-06, 18:11
Hi Fran

Welcome to the forum.

You'll find lots of help and support here.

Karen

Happiness is not a state to arrive at but a manner of travelling.

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough ~ Christine Cagney, Cagney & Lacey

chucklehound
20-07-06, 18:30
welcome to nmp

Take care

Chuckle

xxxx

fran43
20-07-06, 18:39
I deeply thank each and everyone for their support, encouragement and tips. Am I in the right forum now to carry on posting?

I am so grateful to have found the forum, I felt so alone with no outside support where I live.

I will definitely search the site tomorrow when my mind seems more at ease. Bless you all.

Fran

Two heads
20-07-06, 20:18
Welcome to the forum!
All the help your need here when your feeling down and worried.xxxx

trac67
20-07-06, 20:54
Hi Fran,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends.

Take care

Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

giddy
21-07-06, 06:59
Hello Fran and welcome to the forum
love Helen

Karen
21-07-06, 17:44
Hi Fran

Welcome to the forum.

Karen

Happiness is not a state to arrive at but a manner of travelling.

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough ~ Christine Cagney, Cagney & Lacey

Daisybun
22-07-06, 16:37
Hi Fran and welcome to the NMP forum. You'll find lots of help and support here!

Take care
Daisybun

'This too will pass'