PDA

View Full Version : scared again !! - taking new drug

mikeee
26-07-12, 18:54
hi all doc has given mirtazapine 15mg,co try and calm nmy crazy head down! - reluctant to take the full tab,what do you all think about me splitting it in quarter,just for the first night,im simply too paranoid im gonna get nasty side effects.

JonoClouds
26-07-12, 19:33
Hello again Mikeee

Please be assured that there is no need to split the tablets into 4.
15mg is the usual starting dose for mirt. It is usually increased to 30mg after a week or two.
I used mirt for about 18 months and it definitely reduced my anxiety. The effect only took a week or so to appear.
It's an effective med, though it can cause weight gain and reduced s-x drive.

You might wish to take half a tablet for each of the first two nights, but I don't think that it is by any means essential. In fact it will just mean that the benefits of mirt take an extra 2 days to appear! The initial side effects were not too troublesome for me.

All the best - Jono

mikeee
26-07-12, 20:29
thanks for the reply jono mate, im just avin a moment ! - anxiety is shit,especially when yer anxious about taking medicines !!

countrygirl
26-07-12, 20:49
The lower the dose the more sedating it is so you will find that 15mg will make you more spaced out than 30mg.

I tried it a couple of months ago and I slept wonderfully for first few nights and felt totally spaced out in day but then the sedative bit wore off. I then got severe heartburn and put on 5lbs in 10 days so had to come off it but I know loads of people who love it and it has helped them enormously so do give it a try.

mikeee
26-07-12, 20:53
so what does it mean if i take 7.5 mg - even more sedated ??

JonoClouds
26-07-12, 22:29
mikeee
"so what does it mean if i take 7.5 mg - even more sedated ??"

I rather doubt that. I think that the experience (perhaps even misunderstanding) of lower doses being more sedating must arise because lower doses are given initially when starting the med, and the body is unused to it. My experience using mirt was simple: higher dose = more sedation.
7.5mg is a very low dose, so I'd expect very little sedation. In fact, I wonder if you'd notice any effect at all!
As you already have the drug to hand, and are in a position to start using it, you might as well try 1/2 a tab the first time and see how you go. I think you will be fine with it.

Cheers - Jono