PDA

View Full Version : Day 6 of Citalopram - Not that bad?

Fay_elizabeth
26-07-12, 19:18
Hi all,

I'm new here. :)

Last week I saw a new doctor for the first time and described my symptoms. I was prescribed citalopram and told to take 10mg daily before breakfast. I have to see the doctor again tomorrow, I am also going to have some counselling.

I'm getting myself worked up reading other peoples experiences with the medication, they all seem pretty awful and to be honest all the side effects I've felt have been fairly mild and I've been well enough for work everyday.

Day 1 - Felt jittery and on edge also very dry mouth and no appetite. Woke up at 2.30am feeling panicked, stayed awake for around an hour.

Day 2 - Felt lazy and unmotivated all day, jaw grinding and restlessness, also really shaky hands. Woke up numerous times in the night and thought about things.

Day 3 - Went to work today, felt really energised, jaw grinding, stress headache, shaky hands came home and fell asleep for 2 hours, really tired. Woke up at 2.30 for around an hour again.

Day 4 - Work again, feel really manic and on edge but with lots of energy. Got a big appetite today. Really bad levels of concentration. Fell asleep for 3 hours when I got home, horrible headache had to take paracetamol. Woke up at 2 again, watched some foxes outside my window.

Day 5 - Slept really deeply and missed my alarm, 1 hour late for work. Feel like everyone is looking at me on the train feel crazed and on edge again, keep moving my legs loads under my desk. Medium appetite, dry mouth. Slept for 2 hours when I got home and again woke in the night several times.

Day 6 - Felt quite tired this morning and less edgy, bad concentration at work and no appetite. Slept 3 hours when I got home.

I kind of feel like the worst of it may be over. But now I am concerned that feeling these side effects fairly mildly means that the medication won't help my anxiety. Perhaps I am just anxious about it not working...

Basically someone reassure me please :blush:

Two headed boy
26-07-12, 19:35
To be honest I'd say your side effects are a little worse than mine, you just seem to be handling it really well!

JonoClouds
26-07-12, 19:50
Fay

I used citalopram and compared with other meds it had relatively mild side effects. After it settled down, the worst thing about it was dry mouth. A small price to pay for the benefits. Hang in there - it takes up to 4 weeks to stabilise and get the benefits.

Cheers - Jono

Fay_elizabeth
26-07-12, 19:52
Hey two headed boy, thanks! The weird thing is I'm fine while I'm busy working, its just when I get home from work the tiredness really hits me. I forgot to mention a weird nauseous feeling I've had for a few days too, like you know that watery mouth feeling you get before you throw up? that! Nice image for you there...