PDA

View Full Version : Feeling very panicked all of a sudden please can someone give me reassurance

Miss.Katyy1990
27-07-12, 18:19
Literally out of no where I've become aware of my heartbeat and it feels like it's absolutly pounding and it's freaking me out alot. I'm trying to calm down, every no and then I do get this aniexty pounding heart feeling and it feels awful. My friends don't really understand it so I fee like I'm on my own, I have a habit f trying to check my pulse but everytime I try to it always seems likes it's racing can I be bringing this on myslef? I can feel my eyes welling up as I don't want this to run my life again :'(

kittikat
27-07-12, 19:03
You are having palpitations hun and you are making yourself worse by focusing on them. when you do this, the fear sets in and all the other symptoms of anxiety creep in. Try not to check your pulse, try and ignore the palps and carry on as normally as possible. I know it's not easy, but if you can it will help you to calm down. It's just anxiety but you are not alone, we have all been there. Take care :hugs: Kitti x

Miss.Katyy1990
27-07-12, 19:52
So can I really make my heart race just by thinking about it? My minds really that powerful? :'( I just always think the worst that I'm going to drop dead there and then, I'm only 21! I wish I could worry less :(

Goldfinch
28-07-12, 08:26
Yes, your mind is that powerful! When I was around your age and scared about going to unfamiliar places, I remember once taking my pulse on a train and as I recall it was over 120! I am still here 30 years later. It's just your body preparing itself to run away, and as Kittikat says the more you focus on them the more scared you get. You could try distraction - making anagrams out of road signs, any silly mental exercise that takes your attention away from your pulse for a bit and gives you a chance to calm down.

rockydog
28-07-12, 10:37
Try and think about other things that make your heart race, like opening exam results ? The only thing that is doing that is your mind because of anxiety. Think of that fluttery feelig when with say a new partner its all controlled by your mind or adrenalin and we have little thoughts subconsciously that we dont even notice that trigger adrenalin and speed your heart up.
At one of my cbt sessions they suggested i try constantly blowing out like puffing up a balloon and see what happens.Well what happened was i became hot, dizzy and my heart rate increased. So even your breathing will affect your heart xx