PDA

View Full Version : Rage Attack - Referred for Therapy

shyoldguy
27-07-12, 18:42
Hello,

Further my last post, I've just been to my GP. He's referred me to something called the Wellbeing Team? in Nottingham. Has anyone heard of them?

He's also prescribed Citalopram 20mg. I start taking it tomorrow morning.

I'm really really down at the moment. I can't face doing anything.

What's more, I'm not sure if therapy will work. I've tried therapy in the past. My experience is that these things are always time limited and they either just reflect back what you say to them or start bossing you to do things and making you feel even more depressed.

Life has always felt like a struggle to do even really simple things. I'm 42. I still live at home. I never managed to get a circle of friends or a girlfriend. I just don't know how to change.

JonoClouds
27-07-12, 18:48
Hey up
I live in Nottm, but never heard of the Wellbeing Team. Have heard of the Crisis Team, but this is no more than the usual people who man the mental health team clinics in the daytime, doing a night-time rota. They have just one person to cover the whole stuffin' city at night. It's hopeless if you need help at an off-peak time!
Have you googled the Wellbeing Team to see if there's any info?

[Edit]
Just googled it and it's useless. Just comes up with a scammer "alternative therapies" Wellbeing Clinic (though in fact this place does offer CBT at a price, which is helpful). And if you google in quotes like this
"wellbeing team" nottingham
you just get a load of unrelated PDFs.

Cheers - Jono

blue October
27-07-12, 21:29
Hi ShyOldGuy

Good luck, you must try and go into this with a open/posative mind. All things need to change and all things can.

Wake up strong my friend.

Please pm me if you need to talk.

Serenitie
27-07-12, 21:41
Hi Again,

Good for you for seeing your GP - this is a huge step and not an easy one to take.

Please don't doubt therapy before you have tried it. At 42 you are far from old and have so much life ahead of you to live. You obviously want to make positive changes in your life. Therapy is worth trying.

I mentioned an anger management course in my last post. I think this would be really good for you as it is very much based on learning practical skills you can use in daily life to manage your anger and help you to to form positive relationships without your anger getting in the way.

Wishing you well. Please let us know how you get on :hugs:

shyoldguy
30-07-12, 11:51
Thinking about seeing my GP on Friday, should he have signed me off sick? He actually said to me "what you want me to do?" when i explained the situation, which was n't very helpful. I just said I wanted some sort of treatment, but should have said I should be signed off sick with stress?

Serenitie
30-07-12, 13:39
If your stress is stopping you from functioning in daily tasks and work duties I would suggest you have time away from work for a short period initially to seek the treatment / recuperation you need to function better. Then review your progress Just the same as if a physical health problem was presenting you with difficulties functioning daily or at work.

Soldiering on can exacerbate stress (I have done this in the past). It is best to deal with it as early as possible in my experience.

If you are in any doubt, return to your GP to discuss further.

shyoldguy
31-07-12, 20:48
Progress report - I've not been sacked, yet. I had a meeting today with my manager, her manager, me and a union rep. I did my apology, explained what was going on with me up that caused the incident.

It was agreed I return to work on Thursday. The senior manager seemed a bit reluctant to let me come back. She seemed worried I would kick off again but she and the other manager had a private conversation in another room. It appears my own manager persuaded her to let me come back.

Not sure what the outcome is going to be. I expect the best to be an official written warning, which means I keep my job but kiss goodbye to getting another job at the Council.

Still waiting for an appointment for NHS therapy though. Anyone know how long this takes in Nottingham?

JonoClouds
31-07-12, 21:33
Hey Shy

First of all, I am pleased at the overall outcome of the meeting that you described.
It's excellent that you are able to continue in the job.
May I ask whether you told the managers about Mr Sniff'n'Cough being such a pest in your office?
I don't feel that a written warning is appropriate given the medical background, which of course they are now aware of. If it came to a tribunal, I rather think that the employer would not just lose, but be ripped to shreds.
Only slightly off-topic, but how much does it matter that you would be unable to get another job with the council? They pay less than private sector employers, and absolutely everything is regimented and pre-ordained. I'd have had enough of those rigid pay-scales etc by now!

Regarding NHS Therapy in Not In Gum, I had to wait 18 months for CBT back in 2005. I really don't know if things have improved since then. The Mental Health Team will be able to tell you.

Kindest regards

Jono

shyoldguy
01-08-12, 11:43
Thanks Jono.

yes, I did tell them about the coughing/sniffing idiot. I also pointed out why I have n't raised the matter before. In my last job that was another coughing bloke and when I tried to point it was getting on my nerves, he (and various other people) just laughed at me. Next day i got a bollocking form the manager for "unacceptable behaviour".

I'll have to wait and see about therapy. My GP seemed a bit of an idiot, so when he said that it was a matter of days, he could be wrong.