PDA

View Full Version : Neighbours

Belleblue
28-07-12, 19:53
I am having a really bad time at the moment because of anti social neighbours and their kids. I got the most dreadful panic attack yesterday due to this particular kid... well I say kid but I mean adolescent, about 14 who insists on targeting us. It's all "minor" stuff and not really something to report to the police. But it chips away at your quality of life.

I was wondering if others suffer in this way and if you do, how do you cope? I was suicidally depressed because of it all last night.

Belle x

messianictalmud
28-07-12, 20:32
Hi Belleblue,

Sounds a difficult time for you.
Do you by any chance rent your home or do the neighbour's rent theirs by any chance ?

If so you can discuss things with the landlord.

Have you tried to talk to the boys parents at all ?

What one person considers anti-social another may not, so you are well in your right to report events to the Police. Is the 101 service in your area ? If so you can report ant-social behaviour by calling to 101 team.

Best of luck

Belleblue
29-07-12, 12:07
Thank you for your kind words of support Toby.
Yes, it's very difficult. We tried talking to the parents, but they just get defensive and abusive.

The ASB consists of stones being thrown at our windows. Pop sprayed up our door. Water from water guns sprayed up our windows. Verbal abuse. I am 60 and my husband is four years older than me. As a result, we are perceived as easy targets. They are such cowards!!... they wouldn't do this to a home where strong teenagers who might take them on resided!

Last night a couple of these youths were banging on the panels beneath our window and side of door. This is done to cause alarm and distress and it does. We have been trying to move for some time now and have had no luck. I am now going to make further efforts regarding a move first thing in the morning. We shouldn't have to.... but we I can't stand living here any longer.

I don't know if this is making any sense as I'm so worn out today.

Any tips for how I can handle it emotionally would be greatly appreciated.

Belle x

Serenitie
29-07-12, 14:47
Hi Belle,

I'm so sorry to hear that your neighbours are causing you so much distress :hugs:

I am in a very similar position. The neighbours either side of me fail to supervise their children adequately and think it is fine for their children (8 in total!) to play football in my garden which is a noise nuisance and causes potential and actual damage to my property.

Again, due to adequate supervision, one child also threw their soiled underwear at my back door, resulting in a door covered in human excrement which is totally unacceptable.

I like you have approached my neighbours and suggested that they take their children to play in a park 2 minutes away as of course children need to play, but I also have the right to peace in my own home.

The response from one mother was 'I don't have time' and like your neighbours, she became defensive and abusive, even after approaching her calmly on a second occasion.

Since approaching my neighbours, one neighbour has persisted in playing loud music daily for several hours a day outside in the garden area even when no one is out there listening to it.

I suffer with panic attacks and agoraphobia and completely understand the distress your neighbours can cause and how it can have a huge impact on your health.

I have been able to get out this week to a local field to sit in peace and read. But you should not have to escape or move home to have peace.

My next step is to contact my environmental health department. I advise you to do the same. Keep a log of behaviour and if you can take any photographic evidence do this also, if you feel up to it. Some information on how they can help follows:

How your council deals with ongoing noise problems

Abatement notices
If your council decides the noise is a statutory nuisance, they're legally obliged to serve an abatement notice. This sets out what's required of the person causing the nuisance. For example, if the issue is loud music, the person may be asked to stop the noise or only play music between set times.

An abatement notice for noise can be delayed by seven days to give the council time to persuade the person to stop the noise nuisance. If this isn’t successful, an abatement notice must be served at the end of this period.

Even if you do decide to move, contacting your environmental health department may result in some peace in the interim.

I wish you lots of luck & peace, Belle.:bighug1: xxx

london
29-07-12, 15:38
i had one none stop music some people had a word with him
god bless

Bunski
29-07-12, 20:38
I am sick of neighbours period! I dont want to live on an estate anymore as they intrude on my peace. My anxiety has got a lot worse since I moved into a house with a garden.
Since the summer has started my panic attacks have got worse from music playing, to BBQ's cooking vile food and its smoke (Im a Veggie and I feel sick with the acrid smell of smoke), kids shouting loudly, and the worst thing at the mo is my immediate next door neighbour who never picks up their dog poo. The smell wafts over now and then when I sit outside and I want to vom! Seriously I think the only way to cope is move out and somewhere more less populated where houses are further apart :D