PDA

View Full Version : Mind in a whirl this morning

Goldfinch
29-07-12, 09:23
Hi all, I am having a really difficult morning with my mind full of "what ifs" and how to get through a difficult financial situation. I've made a commitment to carry on renting a three-bed house till my daughter goes to uni next year (I hope!!). She's left school and started looking for a job for the year, but there's not much around. I'm torn between trying not to worry the children and telling her she really needs to find something soon so that she can help me a bit with the rent. I feel tearful that it's so hard to provide for them as well as I would like (I'm not the only one in these economic times, I know! and I'm lucky that I'm self-employed so can work as many hours as I want - but it's hard to put in the hours when I'm feeling so knackered). Probably feeling worse this week because I have to take a week off St John's Wort before starting citalopram, have also given up caffeine and alcohol as recommended by the helpsheets. My mind keeps heading off to doom-laden scenarios and I'm getting constant flashes of panic. It's so exhausting and really does not help with work!!

Serenitie
29-07-12, 15:07
Hi Goldfinch,

You are juggling so much and are bound to feel anxious.

When the anxiety and what ifs creep in remind you how far you have come, how resourceful you are and just how much you have shown you are capable of.

You are doing a great job of raising your children and are providing an excellent role model to them which is worth more than money can buy for them.

I'm giving citalopram another go soon. I have cut down on my caffeine and will be cutting out alcohol completely before I start / while I am taking citalopram.

Try not to work too many hours and maybe make a manageable to do list for each day which prioritises what needs to be done. I always finds this helpful and its stops me from worrying and gets me doing which is much more positive and productive.

Take care & keep me posted on your progress :hugs:

Goldfinch
30-07-12, 08:01
Hi Serenitie,

Thanks again. I think this must be what Claire Weekes describes as "that dreaded morning feeling" as I feel terrible in the mornings but the feeling lifts a bit in the afternoon. I hope citalopram will help with this. I can start taking it this Wednesday, thank goodness.

How did you get on with citalopram before? Did you find it made you sleepy? I've realised since stopping alcohol that I was using it as a temporary escape, and I miss that, but there must be better ways! I'm down to one cup of tea a day now, in the morning. Before I was running on caffeine all day - I didn't even count the number of cups I was drinking.

I think you mentioned on another thread that you were doing the online CBT course. Are you finding it helpful?

You seem to have a really sensible and positive approach. Hope you are feeling a bit better and coping with everything. I'd love to hear how you're getting on too.