PDA

View Full Version : On the sick

skins12
29-07-12, 11:02
Basically, my anxiety has got so bad recently that i have been put on sick! I have had enough of it and can't take no more. I just don't know what to do anymore!!!!!

rockydog
29-07-12, 13:34
Sorry to hear that, i was off for seven months so its not uncommon. I am back now though so it does improve :)

Corona89
29-07-12, 15:35
It's hard. I spent over 5 months off of work but my pay got severely reduced so I had to go back. I felt good for a month or two but now i'm back to my old depressed self. I can't take anymore time off work so I've just been dealing with it but it's left me constantly feeling exhausted.

I hope you start to feel better and go back when you are ready. One thing I would recommend is going out for walks even if you can't be bothered it beats sitting around over thinking things all day.

skins12
01-08-12, 12:24
My anxiety has got that bad that I am constantly worrying over things I never use to. I don’t even have to think about anything and I am on edge. My doctor has said to help me that I got to eat 3 meals a day, exercise, go to bed and get up at the same time everyday with no sleeping in the day. I am struggling to do all this.

My doctor has put me on the sick for 4 weeks. I am dreading going back as I keep thinking I’m going to end up back to the way I am at the moment. I have a check up with her next week but I am worried about seeing her as I think she will say I am getting better and that I am able to go back after the 4 weeks. I am on the verge of getting sacked as it is because of my anxiety.

I have only been off a week and have already started to panic about pay. Even though I do full time hours of about 40 hours a week I am only contracted to 10. My sick pay is going to be low and I’m panicking as I know my pay is not going to be enough to cover my bills.

RaynHay
01-08-12, 12:42
hi skins,

i was in the same situation as you but infortunately i lost my job. You have to keep saying to yourself that your health is alot more important than money, i know theres bills to pay etc... but take the time off, relax and get yourself better and then get yourself to work.

Are you on any meds at the moment? are work questioning your health issue?

skins12
02-08-12, 15:55
It’s really hard to relax though as I am on edge all the time! I know my health is important but I don’t know how I’m going to get better as I am just constantly worried and panicking all the time. I just want to be ‘normal’, but I don’t think I will ever see that day!!!!

Yes I am on meds and have been on them for 8 years now. I got a review with my doctor next week to see how I'm getting on and if they meds need to be increased!!! I also see a counselor and have just finished with a youth worker as they only work during term time!!!

Sorry to hear you lost your job. I’m so worried I will end up losing mine too. Yes work does know about my health issues. They know I go to see counselors and that I am on meds. My manager told me a few weeks ago that I have to step down or leave and then about 2 weeks after that she said that she is on the verge of sacking me. Her reasons are that she can’t rely on me because I keep cracking when I need to step up and that I can’t deal with the pressure. I’ve told her I need extra help compared to everyone else because of my anxiety. She tells me that she has had anxiety before and that I should leave it out the door and not to bring it into work. How can I do this when I’ve had anxiety all my life and it affects everything I go? My counselor has told me maybe her anxiety was different sort of anxiety and that maybe she doesn’t understand mine!!!!

RaynHay
02-08-12, 20:12
hi skins,

no offence but i think i would be telling your boss where to go!!! she doesnt deserve you working there. mental health is one of the hardest things in life to deal with and still finding the will to get up and actually go to work is alot to ask.

skins12
06-08-12, 20:49
Haha, none taken don't worry. My friends and family don't like me working there as it is and say I should leave. On many occasions, when my anxiety has been bad I have wanted to walk out or just not turn up for my shift. However, my anxiety also prevents me from doing this as I panic. The thought of having no job makes me really anxious too!!! I have been looking for a new job but I’m scared because even though I don’t get much support from work, it is more support than what I would get if I starting a new job which scares me. I have been in my job for 6 and a half years and it’s the only place I have ever worked. I feel like it’s a safety net. I told my manager this and she said if it’s a safety net then why am I pushing it away.

Annie0904
06-08-12, 21:05
I don't think your boss is very understanding at all towards your anxiety. Don't worry about having to go back to work in 4 weeks and don't let work put you under pressure. If you tell your doctor how you are feeling they will give you another sick note. I tried to go back before I was ready and ended up making myself worse. Make sure you are well before you go back and go back on a phased return (your doctor will put that on your sick note). I just went in for a few hours a day to start with. Hope you start to feel better soon...but it does take time.

Skakitty
06-08-12, 22:25
I empathise with you. I'm in a situation where I have just been sacked for taking too much time off work - I was anxious and started having convulsions, and my working situation was just making me worse. Unfortunately I was a contractor and so didn't have any benefits and they can just terminate my contract.

I'm now on jobseekers but i'm really scared about my future. I need to find another job quickly (in admin) but i'm worried that I might start getting anxious again and having fits at work again and it'll be a cycle. Gah it all feels too much at the moment :/

kittikat
06-08-12, 22:42
Haha, none taken don't worry. My friends and family don't like me working there as it is and say I should leave. On many occasions, when my anxiety has been bad I have wanted to walk out or just not turn up for my shift. However, my anxiety also prevents me from doing this as I panic. The thought of having no job makes me really anxious too!!! I have been looking for a new job but I’m scared because even though I don’t get much support from work, it is more support than what I would get if I starting a new job which scares me. I have been in my job for 6 and a half years and it’s the only place I have ever worked. I feel like it’s a safety net. I told my manager this and she said if it’s a safety net then why am I pushing it away.

Do you work for a large organisation....doesn't really matter but you should be covered by the Equalities Act, if you have a long term mental health issue and should therefore have more rights and the company also have a 'duty of care' towards you. There are rules and procedures they have to follow.

I am off atm and have similar issues, very stressful. Get as much advice as you can and don't be bullied into going back if you are not up to it. You'll end up making yourself worse as I have done.

Take care, Kitti :)

Gregor
08-08-12, 11:35
Is your boss just the Manager or the actual Owner of the company? If she's just a Manager, then i would definitely go over her head on this.

If you had another job to go to, you'd be better off leaving that place i think. However, as has been said, don't be rushed into going back before you're ready.

skins12
10-08-12, 19:58
Thanks everyone, yes its not good feeling like this. All my friends and family are telling me not to go back to work till I’m ready too.

Yes I work for a big company but we don't have a union. My counselor said I should speak to ACAS or to HR but said that could go against me as HR is also for the employer. I was speaking to my mum and she said she was going to take me to the careers office or citizens advice to see if I can get help.

I am already taking Citalopram but went to the doctors yesterday for my check up and now they have put me on Diazepam too. I think they are only for short term so I hope I don’t start going backwards again when I come off it.

Annie0904
10-08-12, 20:02
You should be able to join a union yourself. Don't know what type of company you work for but try contacting a union like UNITE or UNISON