PDA

View Full Version : And back to the beginning......

happyone
29-07-12, 18:16
Six years ago I was diagnosed with anxiety depression. I got medication, counselling and CBT. They helped a little bit but then I got really unwell and ended up in hospital. I was then diagnosed with bipolar and have spent the last five years with varying levels of illness. I have never really been entirely comfy with the bipolar diagnoses, mainly because I didn't get highs for any length of time.
Anyways, after a while I have reached a dead end with my shrink and I sought out a second opinion. I expected him to try and make me feel more comfortable with my bipolar diagnoses but he didn't......he said he thinks I have an anxiety disorder!
So, now I am confused! I definately have anxiety problems....no getting away from that but I have been told repeatedly for five years that this is part of my bipolar.
I have been advised that I shouldn't get hung up on diagnoses but I can't help it. I have been down the treatment route for anxiety.......then had it all completely changed for bipolar because apparently the treatment is completely wrong for bipolar.......then this new doc wants to go back the way and treat me with anxiety/anti depressant drugs!
I am worried. If my old doc is right then the treatment being proposed just now has real potential to make me very ill. I could quite realistically end up in hospital again.
Yet, if this new doc is right then maybe I can get off the anti psychotic medication and mood stabilisers that have turned me into a big barrel!

So.....I am very anxious just now and don't know where to turn. I want to go running back to my old doc but he was losing patience with me. I am scared of what this new doc proposes.

:shrug:

Happyone