PDA

View Full Version : Friends wedding in 1 and 1/2 weeks...

Stezzle
29-07-12, 22:59
I am going to my friends wedding to be a bridesmaid in 1 and 1/2 weeks. We have to travel down to the event that morning and stay for the weekend. Although i have social anxiety i have been determined to not let anxiety ruin my friends day.

I was on Citalopram for over a year and i came off them last xmas as i felt i had recovered and faced the emotional reasons behind how and why it started. I was doing great but since all this wedding stuff and saying yes to being a brides maid i've been worried that my anxiety will cause problems on the day and therefore ruin her day.

My anxiety is social and travelling. I fear being ill while travelling and therefore making an idiot of myself in front of my friends/people and ruining the day or event.

I suffer from upset stomach, fast heart rate, the need to escape etc etc.

I went to my doctors and told her all of this, She has prescribed 40mg of Propranolol and told me to take them as and when but also take them for a few days before the wedding and during.
She has also give me the Citalopram back for a month only as she feel it is only the foreseen event that has brought it back emotionally.

I just wanted to know really, will the propranolol ruin me of all my physical symptoms of anxiety like upset stomach, tight throat, sweaty hands, increased heart rate? As i am worried there arnt going to work.
i can deal with mental anxiety with positive thinking and yoga but its all the physical side of it that will ruin my day but mostly my friends. She has enough on her plate let alone this anxiety freak.

Carrera74
06-08-12, 19:39
Aw you're not a freak, just a little sensitive :)

I take these and have been doing so for a year. They help loads with the physical side of anxiety... the fight and flight horrid stuff. Have you given them a go yet?

lauraebowes
06-08-12, 22:00
ah they are great i was perscribed them last month for when my period is due as my anxiety is high then they are fab x

Stezzle
07-08-12, 12:05
I go tomorrow. Excited more than nervous really. I wont let Anxiety ruin this day.

I have been having one at night for a few days. I've been getting headaches but i'd rather a headache then feeling like a walking time bomb.

i am just worried they arnt going to work. I have been given 40mgs to take up to three times a day when needed.

i was thinking of taking one first thing in the morning and one about half an hour before we are going to leave. Any thoughts on that?

meche
07-08-12, 12:15
Hi Stezzle - have no answers about meds because I don't take them but I just wanted to offer support and say you will have a fab time despite what you may think.

My best friend got married last month (my other half was best man) and on that particular morning I had the daddy of all panic attacks, my symptoms went into overdrive and I thought I was dying! I don't suffer from social anxiety and wasn't worried about anything - it just happened! Anyway, calmed down enough to get there but for an hour or so I was very nervous. Once I got mingling and chatting my anxiety was a distant memory and I spent the rest of the night laughing and dancing my socks off! I bet you do to. Enjoy :emot-dance:! xx

Tufty
07-08-12, 12:32
Good Luck for tomorrow Stezzle - you'll be stunning and enjoy yourself too:D
I take Propanolol 40mg between 1 and 3 a day, when I'm in an anxious state I take one as soon as possible and if I find it hasn't done much another 3 hours later and that works wonders. They take away the shaking, sweating, heart hammering, nausea and diarrhoea, the only side effects I have had if I take 3 a day for more than 4 days is that I get tired but don't sleep as well and have bad dreams and I feel the cold more - which are minor compared to the relief they give me.

Your plan for tomorrow sounds good, take one as soon as and the other about 2 hours later, you'll be so busy the anxiety won't get a look in

Love sam

Stezzle
08-08-12, 00:16
Thank you guys!

I am sure/determined to not let this affect tomorrow in any way and be the best friend i have been all this time.

Thank you for all the advice.

I have never used this type of tablet before so i think that has not helped me on the lead up to tomorrow but i am sure it will be a success.

I will let you guys know how things go. Fingers crossed. xxx