PDA

View Full Version : anybody had to stop driving cause of dizzyness :(

sazlebazle
30-07-12, 17:29
just a quick question has anyone had to stop driving cause of their dizzyness i suffer a fuzzy head and dizzyness quite alot more due to anxiety i think i take stemetil and betahistine and doctor is trying to get me to take amitryptyline but ive only took one as i was scared of the side effects ...... im just worried that im gonna have to stop driving cause of the dizzyness and i need to get to work and my son to school i was going to change his school so it was nearer but he was so upset ive let him stay but it means a 40 min round trip ..... my life is a constant worry !!!!!

Liviguy
30-07-12, 17:34
My anxiety did disrupt my driving but I was determined to get through it. I visited a hypnotherapist who taught me a technique of saying STOP out loud and nipping my leg whenever I felt the wave of anxiety coming up. This was not really possible with passengers though so I just said it to myself and pinched myself.

Three years on I'm still driving.

sazlebazle
30-07-12, 17:38
touch wood at the moment it dosent effect me to much while im driving but its before and after i constantly worry what if i cant drive him etc etc but i might try that and see what happens thanks x

Liviguy
30-07-12, 17:43
Whenever I approached a set of red lights, or get on the slip road of a motorway I panicked. It was hell for years before I sought out help.

It was a very simple technique which I still use to this day and I am able to drive ok now (I still have the odd time where I just bottle it before the slip road and find an alternate route).

BobbyDog
30-07-12, 17:44
If you think the medication you are taking may impaire your ability to drive safely, you should contact your doctor and ask for advice.
I think that if you look at the lealet that came with your tablets, it will tell you if driving skills may be affected.
Your car insurance may also be invalid if you have an accident.

sazlebazle
30-07-12, 17:49
im deffinately going to give it a try i sometimes feel the shakes coming on when im sat at lights etc as for the medication the stemetil ive been on and of for about 5 years and the betahistine about 6 weeks and im still not brave enough to take anymore of the amitriptyline i just feel heady all the time ive been told the ami will help that once it kicks in just wish i was brave enough to take it and see im of work at the mo and son on summer hols so luckily driving isint really important at the mo x

Holly69
12-08-12, 14:34
I have been unable to drive any distance and anything above 40mph for the last two years. I have had mri scans and vestibular rehabilitation to try and combat it. I realise now that my problems were caused by anxiety and not a physical illness. I drove onto a main road for the first time in 2yearsthis week. heres hoping public transport is a thing of the past for me. It is mad how not being able to drive affects work/ social life as I was reluctant to ask people for help.

David80
13-08-12, 14:06
I start to panic at traffic lights or particularly in trafic jams. What if I have a panic attack then and cant drive any further? Its a nightmare so I just take another route. Ive found if I drive back home for a bit I tend to calm down and then can continue with the original journey. I know this is nuts...and a waste of fuel, but its how I cope sometimes.