PDA

View Full Version : stopping pregabalin

Coni
30-07-12, 19:00
hi everyone, havent been on here in a LONG time! Have been doing well for the last 6 months or so and feeling the best I have in ages.

This is due to a combination of medication (venlafaxine and pregabalin) and therapy.

The pregabalin seemed to make a huge difference to my anxiety BUT I have put on a fair bit of weight (a stone now in the last 6 months:ohmy:)

I really really cant afford this weight gain and now that is making me feel worse about myself so I have decided to try and stop the Pregabalin.

Has anyone else managed to successfully discontinue pregabalin without too much trouble? And has anyone else experienced this weight gain with it?

I would love to hear others experience of this.

Thanks xxx

neowallace
31-07-12, 20:10
Hi Coni

I have put on over a stone in weight with it. I am eating less but not losing weight. I have also decided to come off it as I don't feel overall it has helped. I will soon find out anyway if my anxiety symptoms get worse. Best of luck and keep posting how you get on......:)

Steven...:)

Coni
01-08-12, 16:43
Thanks for replying Steven, I am still undecided as to what to do to be honest. Its like having to decide between feeling good but fat and hideous or losing weight and maybe feeling rubbish again.

Sorry to hear it hasn't been that helpful for you. I dont know if its the combination of two medications (and therapy) thats helped me.

What dose have you been on and how do you plan to stop (if you dont mind me asking)?

I was initially on 300 mg (divided into two doses) but the morning dose has been cut to 50mg because I was feeling really sleepy and fuzzy headed during the day and I now take a further 100mg x2 (at lunchtime and bedtime).

I did have a sneaky go at cutting down but started feeling really sick and headachey and was waking up with the knot in my stomach and my back again (though that may have been my imagination lol).

It will be good too hear how you get on...good luck :)

neowallace
03-08-12, 07:38
Hi Coni

Sorry I have not got back sooner. :doh: I have been on 450mg but started on 150mg and worked up. I have decided to stay on it ( I have a thread going with some posts about how I am getting on with it ). I think it helps a bit but I am not sure I know that sounds a bit strange but that is how I feel about it. That is great it has been helping you apart from the weight gain but I suppose it is something you just have to decide on. Keep me posted on how you are doing anyway with it?

Steven...:)

Coni
12-08-12, 12:03
Well, tried cutting down from 250mg a day to 150mg then 100mg over the last week. Not good. I had a persistent headache and feeling queasy after going from 150mg to 100mg then woke up this morning feeling really on edge and agitated and scared. The thing is I dont know if this is just my imagination because I know reducing the dose can make you anxious or if it is true anxiety. Whatever it is I don't like it and not sure I can face feeling like that again!

So back to square 1! Do I persevere or not.....I have taken my 50mg dose this morning as normal but will have to decide one way or the other. I cant keep chopping and changing my mind because Im sure messing about with my dosage constantly is not doing me any good either.

Has anyone successfully come of these with minimal problems? Am a bit worried now that Ill be on them for ever! And thats before I even consider stopping the venlafaxine....oh dear!!!

Steven I'm glad you've made a decision to give it another go....wish I could be as decisive and stop dithering lol! I think with medications the effects can sometimes be so subtle and gradual that you dont realise how much they are helping till you feel bad again . And I know I sometimes have unrealistic expectations of how I SHOULD feel eg never feel anxious or down or flat etc, when that is just not 'normal' either.

Let me know how youre getting on with it?

:)

hanshan
12-08-12, 14:59
Cutting down psychoactive medication like pregabalin should be done gradually. Some doctors recommend a gradual reduction over three months or so for this kind of medication. That way, it is much easier to see whether symptoms such as anxiety are an effect of the reduction or a return of the original symptoms.

Coni
12-08-12, 15:41
Thanks hanshan, I have asked my psychiatrist how to cut down and eventually stop and he said he'd write to my GP with details, but he thinks I should be staying on them and the venlafaxine for at least another year :unsure:.

Do you happen to know what dose reduction each step should be?

X

hanshan
12-08-12, 16:06
If you're on 250 mg a day of pregabalin, then maybe cutting back 15-25 mg per week. You would need to organise the right size capsules with your doctor.

However, please stay with your doctor's advice concerning staying on the medication. Can your doctor give you a referral to a dietician concerning your weight gain? They can quickly work out exactly what and how much you should eat to get your weight back on track, regardless of the medication.