PDA

View Full Version : Can anybody relate? Feeling helpless...

ThatBeth92
30-07-12, 19:24
Hey, guys, I have been diagnosed with anxiety...but I have this weird symptom that I can't find that anyone else has. It's like, I'm super aware of everything. If that makes sense. Almost like I can feel the awareness of things with my brain, like they have a texture to them. I know that sounds CRAZY, but its driving me crazy! Can anyone relate? Please? Thanks.

Techo
31-07-12, 18:34
This is weird. I havent had any of these symptoms and I dont know anyone with them. Have you considered to contact your doctor?

lauz_lea
31-07-12, 21:16
Hi ThatBeth, it may be DP/DR (depersonalization/derealization).

One of the ways I have previously described DP is like being hyper aware/sensative. The degree of symptoms experience with DP varies widely from person to person, but it is not uncommon with anxiety suffers and there are many threads/posts on NMP about it so they may be worth a read to see if you can relate.

It can be a very difficult state/symptom to describe, and I find I can only describe it when I suffering with it, which thankfully I'm not at the moment, but have over the last few months. If it is DP/DR, perhaps the best bit of advice I can give is to pay it as little attention as possible. It's not harmful, nor necessarily a sign that there is anything more sinister or serious wrong with you, but it can be very distressing.

RLR
02-08-12, 03:35
What you are experiencing is termed Sensory Integration Dysfunction, or DPI and it sometimes occurs in persons experiencing significant anxiety. The sensation arises because there is a blending, or integration of the separate sensory networks in certain instances which results in the rather paradoxical feeling that one can detect sensory input which is normally inconsistent with the specific stimulus. In other words, a person might describe being able to taste the color blue when visually exposed to it, or actually feeling the texture of an object in the absence of requisite tactile interface, or touch.

The irregularity is benign in nature and does not suggest the presence of any type of neuropathology. It is more the consequence of inappropriate and overt stimulation of simultaneous sensory networks as a result of anxiety with somatoform features which produces a rather confusing blend of sensory feedback.

You'll be fine.

Best regards,

Rutheford Rane, MD (ret.)

ThatBeth92
02-08-12, 07:47
Thank you all so much. I REALLY REALLY appreciate you all. Going to the doctor tomorrow, hopefully I get it all sorted out. God bless.