PDA

View Full Version : Colonoscopy pending

Liviguy
31-07-12, 12:16
Hi all,

I am having a colonoscopy soon and have already decided on my plan of action for the 'day' before and the lovely laxative.

Wife and kids are staying away that night so I don't keep them up all night with my varying noises and toilet flushes.

TV and Cable box being dragged out to the hallway so I can sit on the throne and watch TV all night.

Mattress being laid in the hallway very close to the toilet

:yesyes:

However, my anxiety has started kicking in with regards to being home alone during the 'cleansing' process.

Now I know that I am hardly going to die mid squirt, but a little reassurance that something bad wont happen would be handy to keep my spirits up lol.

Tufty
01-08-12, 10:03
Hello again:blush:
I had a colonoscopy last October and am pleased to report that the prep and the procedure were both better than expected.
In my case the laxatives weren't quick to work, the first dose took about 4 hours and it wasn't painful, like when you have a stomach bug and I knew when I needed to go and didn't need to sit on the throne for long! Yes you need to be near a toilet for a few hours after each dose but I managed to sleep as normal that night as when there's no more - there's no more and that's it:) I was able to carry on with normal day to day stuff at home, felt a bit drained but no dizziness - just remember to drink lots like the info says.
The colonoscopy was OK too - they give you some lovely relaxing stuff and it was better than visiting the dentist from my perspective - I went home within 30 minutes of it finishing and they only removed a polyp. So all good
I viewed the prep as a deep cleanse - bit like a colonic irrigation but from the top down.
Hope all goes well for you x

cmc46
01-08-12, 10:59
Hi,

I had a colonoscopy last March and had worked myself up into a real state about it all but it wasn't as bad as expected, I didn't need to stay tied to the toilet I was able to carry on as usual inside the house and had time to get there when I needed to, I had planned all sorts of things to do in the bathroom, books, computer but didn't need to stay in there for long. I took my first laxative at midday the day before and only actually had to get up once in the night as most was out of the way before then and even managed to sleep. The procedure was a little bit painful at one point but nothing unbearable.

Hope all goes well.xx

Liviguy
02-08-12, 14:51
I'm just looking forward to it being over, and being able to rest my ass in a bucket of ice :D

annette1
02-08-12, 20:32
Hi Liviguy

I had a colonoscopy 3 wks ago & like the other posts it wasnt as bad as i thought it would be. The laxatives worked well but it wasnt as bad as having a tummy bug as i didnt feel ill as well. I was rather sore for a few days after but nothing too bad.

The procedure itself was fine, a little pain at the start but once the sedative had kicked in I knew nothing until i woke up 2hrs later! They gave me the results before i left the hospital which was great & save a lot of anxiety waiting to hear from my gp.

nomorepanic
02-08-12, 20:34
Are you going on your own or is someone taking you?

Liviguy
03-08-12, 08:49
I'm going on my own initially, but being picked up afterwards.

nomorepanic
03-08-12, 11:52
Ok - the reason I asked was that if you do want/need sedation they will not give it to you unless someone is with you to take you home afterwards.

I had a sigmoidoscopy in May and they told me they don't give sedation now unless specifically asked for - not that I wanted it anyway - but maybe check the procedure for yours when you get there if you decide to have it.

Liviguy
03-08-12, 13:28
My wife will be picking me up afterwards, but due to having kids and it being the holidays she is unable to get a babysitter for the entire time I'll be in.

Will I still get the sedation if they know she is coming later?

The pack I got from the hospital did specifically state that I would be given sedation.

Liviguy
07-08-12, 12:24
Can anyone tell me what clear soup is?

nomorepanic
07-08-12, 12:37
I quite like clear soup. It basically has no bits in it. So they cook the soup then sieve it so you are just left with the liquid and no solids.

Yes if she is picking you up you will get sedation but you may want to try it without as there are restrictions on things you can do after having it.

Liviguy
07-08-12, 13:30
Yeah, restrictions like not running about after the kids. Sedation it will be lol.

I'm stocking up on bovril.

annette1
07-08-12, 15:03
HI Guy

Are you starving, horrible isnt it!

Clear soup is a consumme, usually chicken or beef, a soup you can see through with no bits in. Not very exciting but better than nothing. You could also drink marmite or bovril in hot water.

I'm guessing your colonoscopy is tomorrow, good luck! :)

Liviguy
07-08-12, 15:46
HI Guy

Are you starving, horrible isnt it!

Clear soup is a consumme, usually chicken or beef, a soup you can see through with no bits in. Not very exciting but better than nothing. You could also drink marmite or bovril in hot water.

I'm guessing your colonoscopy is tomorrow, good luck! :)

Hi Annette,

It's on Friday so the starvation will be on Thursday. I'm just planning ahead. :)

nigela
13-09-12, 10:30
Hi,

I had a colonoscopy last March and had worked myself up into a real state about it all but it wasn't as bad as expected, I didn't need to stay tied to the toilet I was able to carry on as usual inside the house and had time to get there when I needed to, I had planned all sorts of things to do in the bathroom, books, computer but didn't need to stay in there for long. I took my first laxative at midday the day before and only actually had to get up once in the night as most was out of the way before then and even managed to sleep. The procedure was a little bit painful at one point but nothing unbearable.

Hope all goes well.xx

Hi Did you have the sedation with it?

nigela
14-09-12, 12:40
My apt is for the 1st of Oct. got letter this am. I have two great bags of the moviprep stuff to take-2 litres! thought be one!. one at 7pm and the other at 6 am-so no doubt be on the loo al night. no sleep and no food-wont be so good next day. i get alot of palpitations anyway when hungry! I will be a wreck! It seems that it has electrolytes in it. so not sure whether i wil need extra. Why on earth two lots needed when you are not eating food!
Not looking forward to this.
Nigela x