PDA

View Full Version : G p fed up with me

Stephanie
31-07-12, 12:52
Hi, I am having serious panic attacks again and have been taking too many sleep pills to keep me calm at night. Now g p is refusing to answer my calls and seems to want me to go away. Feeling so alone

nomorepanic
31-07-12, 13:11
How do you know the GP is refusing your calls? We can't just call our surgery and ask to talk to the doctor as obviously they are very busy all day, we would have to go and see them. Can't you do that?

erin31
31-07-12, 14:13
Our GP practice does have telephone appointments where your GP will ring you at an appointed time. This appointment can be made online or by ringing the surgery but even if a patient does not have an appointment we are told we can ring to speak to a GP at any time, if our own GP is to busy to speak to us we can leave a message and he will ring back asap or if we feel we need to speak to a GP urgently we can speak to the duty GP instead.
There have been times though when I have had to wait a couple of hours for a call back simply because the GP was out on calls or busy with surgery. He was not ignoring me, just had more important people to deal with.
Please try not to worry but if you must speak to someone right now ask if you can speak to another doctor or nurse for advice x

Goldfinch
31-07-12, 14:41
Yes we have the same system. If GP takes some time to get back to you it's nothing personal.

Liviguy
31-07-12, 14:57
When did you call? Has it been hours since? Or days?

Stephanie
31-07-12, 15:08
No, it is my fault. I keep calling to ask for reassurance and they have said you have the medication, just deal with it. It is stupid of me but I constantly want to be told I will get better

nicola1980
31-07-12, 15:14
I totally understand what your saying but you will get better in time, what medication are you on as they usually take a while to kick in and can make us feel worse before we get better xx

Stephanie
31-07-12, 15:23
Amitryptaline 150 and diazapan. Really struggling to get off sleeping pills too though. Just desperately want some rest.

smalltrace
31-07-12, 15:25
Do you feel that you MUST speak to a doctor, or do you think you may be able to gain some enough support by speaking to another person? I'm just thinking that if you felt able to gain some support via a different means it would firstly help you to not feel you are over doing things with the doctor, but also allow your needs of support to be met via a different way.

http://www.nopanic.org.uk/ has a helpline open 10am-10pm every day. I personally have never rung them. Alternatively the Samaritans could be a way to speak to a real live person when you are feeling terribly anxious or in a panic. They don't just take calls from suicidal people. Also look into if your local council/health authority runs any helplines. Locally where I live they had the mental health line that was open 24 hours a day to offer advice, and support to people with mental health issues in the area.

Donny
31-07-12, 16:03
Do you feel that you MUST speak to a doctor, or do you think you may be able to gain some enough support by speaking to another person? I'm just thinking that if you felt able to gain some support via a different means it would firstly help you to not feel you are over doing things with the doctor, but also allow your needs of support to be met via a different way.

http://www.nopanic.org.uk/ has a helpline open 10am-10pm every day. I personally have never rung them. Alternatively the Samaritans could be a way to speak to a real live person when you are feeling terribly anxious or in a panic. They don't just take calls from suicidal people. Also look into if your local council/health authority runs any helplines. Locally where I live they had the mental health line that was open 24 hours a day to offer advice, and support to people with mental health issues in the area.

I have rung the No Panic helpline once and they are OK. They even found someone on the phones who had had panic attacks once. The only problem is that they do try to get you to pay to join in future.

Liviguy
31-07-12, 16:06
Christ, trying to cash in on our misery lol.

Suppose, someone has to pay for their services.

erin31
31-07-12, 16:15
Stephanie I don't think your GP will just wash his hands of you, he has a duty of care but if you are ringing and asking the same question over and over again and he has already given you an answer for example that you will get better then he may feel he is simply repeating himself, there is no more he can do at the moment and that it is a waste of time talking to you as you will simply ring up asking the same question again later. You need to give the medication time to work and if after a few weeks you feel it is still not working then you need to see him about changing it.
Has he asked to review you while you are on the medication?
What sleeping tablets are you taking? x

LAURA48
31-07-12, 17:13
Hi Stephanie

You should be able to phone your GP and have a telephone consultation - 99 per cent of surgeries do that. No matter how many times you phone a phone call should NOT be ignored. I am a GP receptionist and you may have to wait some time for a callback but the doctor always phones back.

We had one psychotic patient a few years ago who used to phone around 15 times a day - he would get a callback - you could ring PALS or NHS direct. I understand when you are in a panic you are desperate.

All the best

Laura

erin31
01-08-12, 13:42
Hi Stephanie.
How are you today? Did your GP ring back? x