PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety/panic symptoms, feel like constantly need the loo!

Clarinha
01-08-12, 09:06
Hello,

I've been suffering from anxiety and panic for a while now, I'm still managing to function pretty well and to push myself to do things I would love to avoid for fear of having a panic attack and not being able to escape quickly. I've read countless books on CBT and panic/anxiety and have also had counselling which have all helped but my issue is that even though I challenge myself on a daily basis, I still experience the main symptoms that bother me which are: stomach churning and needing to pee. Now, I know full well I am not incontinent and never really pay attention to my stomach or bladder when I'm at home or somewhere where I feel comfortable but I've been taking the bus twice a day for a month now, something which I would have found very difficult in the past and there's one part of my journey where I feel 'stuck' because the bus goes over a long bridge and it wouldn't be possible for the bus driver to let me off if I wanted to desperately get out for fear of embarrassing myself (i.e. losing control of my bladder or worse)! Now I'm quite puzzled because I would have thought that facing an anxiety-provoking situation twice a day would eventually make those symptoms go away but on some days, it really feels like I'm desperate to get to the loo and then I get home and can go another couple of hours without going!
Has anyone ever experienced this? Has anyone managed to get rid of those symptoms? Any help/advice/support would be greatly appreciated, this is driving me mad!

Thanks in advance :blush:

willitstop
01-08-12, 18:27
Cant offer any advice but just want you to know you are not alone with this symptom.

i cant go anywhere without knowing there is a toilet close or knowing i can get to my home to go to the bathroom should i need it.

Elle-Kay
01-08-12, 19:11
First of all, congratulations on doing so well with breaking down your boundaries so far! :D Secondly, I have experienced similar to you, on and off. I hate to go into a bathroom when I'm in a situation where I know I'll be anxious, because it reminds me of being sick, which gives me nausea. I'm also 'funny' about the cleanliness of facilities (get that from my mum!) Consequently, I hate to need a wee while I'm out! Recently though I had a period where, even if I went to the loo immediately before I went out, I would desperately need a wee by the time I got where I was going, even if it wasn't far away. This was a bit of a nightmare, because I would be equally desperate not to have to go into a toilet. I think that what was happening was that I was so fixated (even unconsciously) on toilets that I would almost 'talk myself into' needing the loo just by concentrating on not being in that situation. Does that make sense? Thankfully (touch wood) this seems to have now worn off for the most part, so I would say stick with it, continue to challenge your body in its thoughts/actions, and see how you get on.

Clarinha
03-08-12, 10:06
Thanks for your replies and encouragement! It definitely helps to know I am not the only one experiencing these symptoms, anxiety can make you feel so lonely sometimes!

iovercamesocialph
05-08-12, 14:41
I think you should learn how to be more relaxed. Do not overthink on what could happen. Just learn to relax and clear your mind during those times you become anxious.

meganmuffinsxox
08-08-12, 18:16
dont worry, my panic attack yesterday sent me to the loo every 15 mins!

tele28
08-08-12, 20:50
Ive been going through something very similar!! Its been years ive struggled with public transport or being far away from toilets in the worry that i might need it and therefore have a humiliating accident! well done for taking the bus twice a day, i struggle to do that and even did CBT and she suggested i get on the tube all the time to get used to it, but doing that didn't really help and it really depends on the day and how i feel physically!! Its nice to hear people are going through this as well, but its so disabling in so many ways, i feel like i havent had a life for 6 years!

chloe1990
12-08-12, 17:51
hey guys need some advice ,went to pictures yesterday with my fiancee which was good fun,but i started feeling scared and breathing felt weird also shaky hot flushes and panicky is this a panic attack?

i have had before as i had bad flu 2 years ago which then left me with horriable panic feelings, any feed back would be good also get plugged ears and pressure in face and head.

thanks chloe x

emily42r
27-03-13, 11:59
Hi,

I know this is quite an old thread now, but I recently came across it because I have exactly the same problem. When at home or at work I am fine but as soon as I get on public transport, particularly the underground, or am in a meeting, cinema/theatre (somewhere I cannot get out from without drawing attention to myself) I find I am absolutely desperate for a pee. I know I don't really need to go because if it happens on transport, often when I get home I can go for hours before I actually go to the toilet. I worry constantly about being in this situation, I long to go travelling but I cannot imagine negotiating all that public transport and I never go to the theatre or cinema anymore. I have had anxiety for a long time but recently seem to be developing more issues such as this, claustrophobia and health anxiety. I know they are all related and I need to break the cycle but I don't know how.

I just wondered Clarinha, if you had had any success or found any therapy that helps?

Brent
28-03-13, 17:54
hmm great write-up friends... I am also suffering from some similar problem like you. and now I think these posts are helpful to know about our problems. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience.

Globetrotter
30-07-13, 23:59
Same here (needing the toilet) when I'am out and about. I only ever take aisle seats in concerts et and if they are not avail i rather don't go in case i can not escape fast enough.
Public transport is a bigger problem going away from home. For some reason the journey home seems easier. I hate crowded pubs and long car journeys too. I feel slightly better when I'am driving out alone but with friends it is much more difficult. Been to the Urologist but all negative results. It's bad in a crowded shopping center too. I hate take off and landing on the flights as you need to stay in your seat.
For some reason my body seems to swap with needing to Pee or feling like beeing sick in any of these situations. Started now with Citalopram for the first time to calm the symptoms down and try to get this under control. It has been 10 years.
Would love to travel more to Asia et but i stick to citys that i know (where is the loo?)

Nicola Main
31-07-13, 09:36
I've also suffered from this since around high school which was roughly 10 years ago. Every time someone in my family has a bath they always ask me if I need to go in before they go, nearly every time I go (even if I don't really need) it's just the thought of if I did need then I couldn't get in so I might as well go before they have their bath or shower. I also can't stand long car journeys and I've often seen myself looking at my atlas to find out where all the services are before we go. Have a rather long car journey in a couple of weeks' time as me and my boyfriend are travelling down from the east coast of Scotland to York, staying the night there, and then the next day from York all the way down to Stamford in Lincolnshire. My boyfriend could probably go one stop the whole way but I'll probably have to go half a dozen!

Public transport was a bit of an issue a few years ago (I'm on the point of passing my driving test now and have my own car so shouldn't have to use buses now) but when I was at college I used to have to take the bus into town (about 7 miles away from home) and even though it was only a short distance it seemed forever when sitting in a slow-moving bus. There were a few times when I would start thinking about needing the toilet, start getting uncomfy and fidgety, and then all of a sudden I'd be bursting and would just have to set my mind on trying hard to calm down and thinking to myself you'll get to your destination and manage to run to the loo in time. Look out the window and focus on something else etc.

I don't drink a lot of water for the reason I'm scared that I'll have to run to the loo more often. At work I'll go to the loo at certain times so it balances out the time. For instance if I start work at 1pm and I go for a 10 minute break around 3.30pm, I'll go to the toilet at about 2.15pm as that gives me about an hour and 15 minutes so it evens it out. Silly I know but that's just me!

Remember you're not the only one out there with these feelings and I hope you manage to sort it in some way. I've actually acquired an even more terrifying fear than needing the toilet (I have a big fear of cloudless sunny skies and open spaces) which I would rather have the toilet thing than this which can get really bad.