PDA

View Full Version : Barium meal

Scripter
02-08-12, 01:46
Hi i had a barium meal today as for over a year i get problems in the evening after eating this consists of burping heartburn and jumping up in my sleep like my throat has closed up and cant breathe.

Im 28 male and like hot and spicy foods and could be down to this that has caused it my main concern is i had to drink some fizzy stuff then drink the barium and then was told that it was not passing through from my stomach how it should so then had to drink more barium and fizzy stuff then it was the same wouldnt pass through so he then said i needed an injection after doing this i think it passed through.

I then asked the doctor if although he couldnt give me the results there and then was there anything obvious that showed up he said no and asked why i was sent there and what symptoms id had i told him and he said that may account to why its not passing through and your getting these problems i now have to wait 10 days and am now worried if it could be stomach cancer as that is causeing this or maybe a tumor.

I dont know much about the procedure or know anything that could be causing me this problem is there anyone who can advise if it could be cancer or anything else that could cause this as worrying isnt helping me and feel rather depressed and fed up of my life

---------- Post added 02-08-12 at 01:46 ---------- Previous post was 01-08-12 at 23:41 ----------

Oh and forgot to mention blood tests say i have a high liver function aswell

cattttt
09-08-12, 09:16
The injection you had was to relax things inside. People having barium meals often get spasms inside which stop things passing through, the injection was to stop this. If you asked if there was anything obvious and the doc said no, then he was confident that you do not have anything bad. You will have to wait for him to have a close look at the images to find out for certain, but if he said it was ok, then it probably is.

penlove
05-10-13, 05:34
Hello everybody.

Daisy Sue
05-10-13, 09:16
The barium itself is an incredibly heavy substance, so it could just have been that, that caused the slowing down of your transit on that day. Lots of people have trouble getting rid of barium afterwards because of this.

You may have IBS... which can affect the peristaltic action of your intestines - the squeezing action which pushes matter along, and which can also make things sluggish and slow to go through.

I hope you get good results, and some help for your symptoms.. please let us know.