PDA

View Full Version : Tight chested?

Estranged
02-08-12, 00:52
Hi All
I know one of the symptoms with anxiety is tight chest, my question is, how long can it last?, and can you experience tight chest without actually going through an attack? Such as panic or anxiety?

Thanks

BobbyDog
02-08-12, 07:18
It is how we react to the bodily sensation, ignore it and it will go away, focus on it and we end up having a panic attack. I am an expert on this subject, it happens to me almost every day and I panic:doh:

Liviguy
02-08-12, 08:33
I suffer from tight chest and in the beginning I panicked which made it worse and last longer thinking that the grim reaper was coming for me. That has been 18 years now and as I'm still here I accept that it's just anxiety and pain from being tense.

I have learned to live with the anxiety symptoms, it's when something new crops up I panic.

Donny
02-08-12, 08:41
My fellow countryman is right.

The tight-chested feeling is normal and the body will tighten all the muscles (and this includes the ones under the ribs which makes it feel hard to breathe) when your anxious and sometimes when you are not anxious enough to normally feel it.

The mind can be a complete barsteward at times. Once you get used to one symptom and can deal with it you feel great (a little victory), but the anxious mind is not happy and kindly produces another symptom which you have been mulling over and you start to worry away at that one.