PDA

View Full Version : Dysthymia anyone else suffer?

samtheman
02-08-12, 15:41
I got diagnosed with this last month, for those who don't know its chronic mild depression, I've had it undiagnosed for the past 12 years, I got offered meds which I refused as I am scared of the symptoms, and CBT which I again refused as I can't get out of work to attend, so just wondering if anyone else on here has this and how do you handle it?

Liviguy
02-08-12, 16:57
I am going to appear harsh here so I apologise in advance.

You have had an offer of help in both medication and CBT and you have refused them both.

I strongly urge you to get the help on offer which will undoubtedly make you feel better.

samtheman
02-08-12, 17:00
It may well do but I already suffer suicidal thoughts on occasions so don't need meds adding to these and I've only recently started a new job and wouldn't get allowed out of work.

Liviguy
02-08-12, 17:05
Couldn't you arrange your CBT sessions for when you finish work? It does sound like you need the help offered to get you back on the right track.

samtheman
02-08-12, 17:13
Couldn't you arrange your CBT sessions for when you finish work? It does sound like you need the help offered to get you back on the right track.

Apparently the therapist only works 10-5, I work 8-5.30 I know I need help but I don't know what to do, I don't have a leg to stand on at work as I am only their 3 months.

Liviguy
02-08-12, 17:18
I thought they couldn't stop you attending hospital appointments? I know doc/dentist appointments should be in your own time but hospital is allowed.

PanchoGoz
02-08-12, 17:23
I agree with Livi, you are lucky you have been offered both therapy and meds, they would help you so much if you accepted them. There should be an option for an after work hours therapist, or a phone or email therapist, the doctor or refferee should understand that.

samtheman
02-08-12, 17:38
I thought they couldn't stop you attending hospital appointments? I know doc/dentist appointments should be in your own time but hospital is allowed.

Its not in a hospital, its with a private counsellor, I would say work wouldn't mind once or twice but an on going this for 2-3 months, They prob can't stop me attending but the old "We've not enough work on you go" would cover this.

---------- Post added at 17:38 ---------- Previous post was at 17:24 ----------

I have an appointment with my doctor tomorrow so I will explain all this.

Kiyonari
02-08-12, 18:32
Side effects from antidepressants are quite rare and will give you a boost to help deal with your depression. It might be that refusal of CBT because of work may be you avoiding dealing with your problem because of your depression? Your health is more important than your job (so I keep telling myself), and CBT is brilliant! And available on the NHS through IAPT etc if your in the UK. Good luck.

Littlehelper123
08-08-12, 22:20
Hun take advantage of what they are offering you. If you refuse the help you won't get better. This is going to sound harsh but get ur butt into gear nd get yourself sorted. I know it's hard, i know it's easier said than done but really push yourself to get that help. Take a day off work to get CBT or go private and see someone on a weekend. But don't sit back and expect it to fix itself because it won't. You can do it xxx