PDA

View Full Version : Hi new to this

MissC
02-08-12, 18:27
Hi all im claire!
not sure what im doing here to be honest? maybe looking to see how everyone copes with their panic attacks?

mine only started a few months ago after having a bad reaction to medication and since.....my life has been turned upside down, panic attacks daily some lasting most the day, its got to the point now where i wont go out anywhere or if i do i have to have someone with me :( Having one now just talking about it. I cant talk to family/friends about it as they dont see it as an illness or why i should let it being effecting me so i tend not to talk to them any more exceot my sister who is amazing.
Seems worse at the moment as im waiting to see ENt about an ongoing throat problem, but again this doesnt help the attacks ias i keep thinking my throat is closing on me :(
I'm due to start CBT soon i gope (well in the next 2 months) anyone been to them before were they helpful for you?

sorry guys quite along post (im 29btw)
xx

nomorepanic
02-08-12, 18:37
Hi MissC

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

Serenitie
02-08-12, 20:13
:welcome: x

MissC
02-08-12, 20:41
Thank You :) x

BobbyDog
02-08-12, 20:53
Hi Claire,

CBT should really help, you have only developed anxiety recently and should not have too many negative learned behaviours that cannot be reversed. The Psychologists/Counsellors are really friendly in my experience, they will put you at ease, you can talk openly about your problems, they will teach you coping strategies.
I had CBT about 3 years ago and I was going through a really rough patch with my anxiety, I actually enjoyed my visits and looked forward to them.

MissC
02-08-12, 21:57
Thanks bobbydog, that's a great thing to hear, its just scary how fast its all escalated in such a short space of time, I've always been quite an anxious person so of course that hasn't helped either! I can't wait to start the CBT just want an end to it all :) x

shaunb
02-08-12, 22:03
hi claire , welcome on board youll find a lot of support on here , shaun x

MissC
02-08-12, 22:38
Hi and thanks shaun :) x

MissC
18-03-13, 23:21
Hi guys....well just after I started here I got my letter for CBT and started the sessions....im still doing them now once a week, its a slow process, learnt behaviours were worse than I thought but im sticking with it.
How long did people use cbt for please as a whole or until you started noticing a difference?
X

KITTY0987
19-03-13, 14:04
Hi Clare I can really relate to your post especially about your anxiety, my family are exactly the same, they just think that you can "get over it", I've been doing CBT too and it has been helpful so far in my recovery, you can get up to 18 sessions on the NHS, I hope it goes well for you :D X