PDA

View Full Version : Wondering if I should try and do this alone

Mimosa
04-08-12, 03:00
Hi all, i was wondering which is better. I'm 21 and live on
my own in an apartment but my parents live in the same town
and I don't like to be alone when i'm anxious....I'm wondering though if it's better to try and deal with it on my own when i have a panic attack or to call my parents and go over there..

Thanks!!

Mimosa

BobbyDog
04-08-12, 07:11
I would say try and deal with it on your own if at all possible. If you relay on your parents you will probably always need them when you have a panic attack. I find that if I am on my own they subside a lot quicker, if I am with someone they almost become my enabler. As it to say, "it is ok to panic, you carry on dear".
If you think back in time when perhaps you cut your finger, your parents giving you loads of attention and physical contact, you then start thinking, "I don't mind having a small cut after all". Maybe not the best analogy. I hope this makes sense.:D

Donny
04-08-12, 09:41
Bobbydog is spot on with that advice.

If you can, try to deal with it on your own. Then when you have little victories and get through an anxious period it will be down to just you and that will speed your recovery so much faster.

No harm in grabbing the phone and calling someone at the time and talk about something else as your panicking. They wont know and it does distract you from the anxiety if it gets to a point where you really need to.

johnielov
06-08-12, 04:30
You have done it already, you live on your own it means your brave enough to face things alone. It's nice to know that your independent already but of course there are some instances that we need our parents.