PDA

View Full Version : Hello!

TheBrink
05-08-12, 04:14
It's almost 4 in the morning, and I'm on my third night in a row with next to no sleep, so now seemed like a good time to do something constructive, like register here.

To provide some background, I suppose I've always suffered from excessive anxiety, although I was only able to admit that about 2 years ago. I repeatedly went back to doctors, and emergency rooms insisting that I must have a brain tumour, or an aneurysm, or an AVM, because I could think of no other possible explanation for the constant dizziness, headaches, and cognitive difficulties (such as a complete lack of ability to focus or concentrate) that I was having. After having a full on panic attack in the middle of a shopping centre, and showing up at A & E convinced it was something else, like a stroke, or a heart attack, I was eventually forced to accept that there might be a link between these physical symptoms and my emotional state.

This helped me to manage it to some extent, and I was just about able to get through my final year at university. Over the past two years, I've reflected a lot on my past, and I've come to realise that anxiety has controlled me all my life, and I've just never admitted it to myself. Instead I would quit jobs, college courses, university places, not show up for interviews, appointments etc, and simply never admit to myself that it was because I was gripped by crippling fear. I'd had panic attacks in the past, and just never called them that, to myself or anybody else.

Things have been better since. I still have the physical symptoms I outlined earlier, to a greater or lesser extent, but I have been able to cope, by and large. Holding down a job, moving house a couple of times, all relatively OK, until three weeks ago, a promotion at work sort of dropped, without my looking for it, into my lap. Since then it's been hell. My head is constantly buzzing, and my chest is constantly tight. I feel like I'm on the brink of a panic attack 24-7. Between the constant effect of my head spinning, and hardly sleeping at night, I'm barely functioning at work.

My doctor has recommended calms and rescue remedy, and it was actually her who recommended this site, but to be honest, I sort of just hoped if I gave it enough time, I would acclimatise, and things would get back to normal, but I can see now that this is not going to happen. I need to learn how to manage this somehow. I need to build a skillset to help me cope with my anxiety, or matters are only going to get worse.

So that's why I'm here really, because I have no idea where to start.

I apologise for starting out with such a massive, rambling post, but to be totally honest, this is the first time I've really put all this into words, and I'm hoping just the act of writing it all down will be cathartic, and I might be able to get some sleep tonight.

:wacko:

nomorepanic
05-08-12, 04:24
Hi TheBrink

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

TheBrink
05-08-12, 04:25
As an addendum, I've decided tonight that I'm going to have to speak to my employer tomorrow (yes I have to work on a sunday) about this, and discuss the possibility of going back to my old job. This shouldn't be a problem.

It seems like a negative step, and a repeat of old patterns of behaviour, but I really don't think I have a choice. I can't cope with this at the moment, and I'm not going to be able to learn how to cope fast enough.

At least this time, I'm admitting to myself what's going on, and not just running away from it. A few years ago, I'd just have quit on the spot, never gone back to work, and lied to myself and everyone else about the reason.

BobbyDog
05-08-12, 06:38
Hey TheBrink,

I hope you find this site helpful and get lots of advice and support.

:welcome:

Serenitie
05-08-12, 07:08
Hi and welcome :welcome:

I've had a week of sleepless nights so can empathise with you :hugs:

You are taking really positive steps. Good for you! I hope that your meeting with your employer goes well today :)

dottielottie
05-08-12, 10:20
Hi I hope all goes well today x

Veronica H
05-08-12, 10:31
:welcome:to NMP. Glad that you have found us. There is a brilliant book by Dr Claire Weekes;SELF HELP FOR YOUR NERVES published by Thorsens ISBN 0-7225-3155-9.This is available from the NMP shop. Dr Weekes was a physician and scientist. She was a fellow sufferer (nominated for the nobel prize for medicine) and really understood this illness. She took the mystery out of it, and devised a simple programme for recovery. I can't recommend this enough.( It is a bit old fashioned, but still so relevant).
Here is a link to her site;
http://www.claireweekes.com.au/ (http://www.claireweekes.com.au/)

This will get better. Veronicax

P.S. another useful link for you;

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthr...ight=CBT4PANIC (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthr...ight=CBT4PANIC)

I can recommend this programme. Vx

robinhall
06-08-12, 13:10
Hi Veronica

Thanks for the thumbs up for CBT4PANIC - but your link doesn't work so if anyone wants to check it out use the link below in my signature.

Cheers
Robin