PDA

View Full Version : tight throat and shortness of breath

eddy1608
05-08-12, 18:17
hi ive had anxiety and panic attacks for nearly 4 yrs now but about a yr and a half ago i started to get really short of breath and a tight throat when i panic now i have it constantly it drives me crazy thers times where i think im going to die as stupid as it sounds but its so intense ive been on mirtazipine 45mg for around 2 n a half yrs theres was talk that they might need to be changed but im not sure yet. i also have lorazepam 1mg and diazepam 2 mg, the lorazepam i should take 3 a day for anxiety but i dont take the full amount because im scared they might not help so there kind of a comfort thing, should i try the 3 a day would it help? or ive got diazepam 2mg again thats 3 a day but 3 yrs ago i took one 5mg diazepam and it made me sick straight after but i think its because i got in a state thinking about if i was going to have side effects from it so i made my panic to the point i was sick. i just want this tight throat and shortness of breath to go if anyone has or has had this and fought through it i would be gratefull for any help, i also have asthma but my asthma nurse says my asthma is fine its just anxiety taking over all day and every day. im only 23 i want to live my life not live in fear im going to stop breathing and die.
thanks for reading this i hope u can help me.

Rach29
06-08-12, 14:42
Hi I know how you feel with the breathing thing thinking your going to stop breathing and die I get it a lot very scary what anxiety can do the best thing to do as hard as it is is to things to take your mind of it, when your asleep does your breathing not bother you and your tight throat go? You will always breath even if it feels like your not if your breathing through your chest that's more than likely why you have trouble, try to relax and breath through your nose into your stomach if that makes sense, And you could talk to your gp about your meds I can't help you with that I'm afraid I don't take any so can't be more helpful sorry

saintdee
06-08-12, 15:02
I am currently suffering with the throat thIng and it feel like I'm going to gag and makes me feel nausea. Is this what you experiencing?

lustyglaze
07-08-12, 15:50
I sufer form the air hunger & globus hysterectus (tight throat). I know this is anxiety & harmless, but is is about learning to live with them initially & accept them as harmless symptoms of anxiety. Slowly they will get less & less in severity as your (unconscious) mind reaslises that it does not have to put you on standby (fight fright) to protect you.
Abdominal breathing should help alot in trying to learn better breathing techniques during the day & in stressful situations.

Laurabaz
07-08-12, 22:30
I suffer with " breathing" problems with my anxiety as well. I will concentrate on it that much I make it go funny cause I'm thinking about it. Just try to think that you can't just stop breathing and die you would just faint and start breathing again. I'm not sure if that will help but it put my mind at rest a little bit :)

johnielov
13-08-12, 08:19
Whenever I'm getting frustrated with my work and it seems like the universe betray me..I feel like it's hard to breath and I'm dying inside, I just pause a little while and think for any positive thoughts that could make me push through.