PDA

View Full Version : Food

Feelinblue
05-08-12, 22:15
A lot of my anxiety revolves around food. I am known for being a good eater and love food but my anxiety hampers that which gets me down. Does anyone else have problems with eating?

For example I was on the train on my way to a second date and there was some chaps speaking loudly about chips and burgers. I couldn't tune out and felt increasingly sick as they described the cooking and taste in detail. Normally this would make me hungry and I was envious about the fact that they probably were feeling that way. When I'm anxious my sensitivity to food smell becomes extraordinarily acute. Sausages and some other fatty foods are particular smells that I find overwhelming but on a normal day I would devour them happily.

This may well relate to one of my most memorable and early anxiety attacks. When I was at Uni I was cooking sausages and mash for a girl who I had asked out and I couldn't eat. To simply put a bit of food in my mouth made me want to gag and I would sweat around the face in the struggle to keep my composure.

The date I just had happened to go really well but for the first half an hour I had a very dry mouth even as I drank. I also felt sick and my pizza dinner was sitting heavy. I was conscious and nervous about doing a smelly burp, especially at the risk of putting off the girl I was with.