PDA

View Full Version : can i just say!

tomcat
05-08-12, 23:02
CAN I JUST SAY without offending anyone on nmp how come some people can actually go to work, ride their bikes for hours,go shopping and still suffer with anxiety and depression, i can only make it too the local paper shop 200 yards away and come back sweating, sorry but what is the million dollar answer too this . please no one get upset or irate bout this just feeling really robbed of a life i used to have with my kids , need hugs i guess, tomcat x

nomorepanic
05-08-12, 23:12
Well my answer is "because I had to".

I lived alone and had a mortgage to pay when I was at my worst so had no choice but to go out to work.

It is not easy at all I know that but you just have to JFDI it

The more you do it the better it gets and I think I would have been much worse had I not continued to work through it and just deal with it.

Elen
06-08-12, 12:31
Well my answer is "because I had to".

I lived alone and had a mortgage to pay when I was at my worst so had no choice but to go out to work.

It is not easy at all I know that but you just have to JFDI it

The more you do it the better it gets and I think I would have been much worse had I not continued to work through it and just deal with it.

Totally agree Nic, I have no option, I have a mortgage to pay and tbh staying in the house brooding makes me feel worse.

Work offers a structure to the day and the chance to forget about me and my problems for a while.

I appreciate that not everyone is able to do it but like Nic says JFDI works wonders.

Piano
06-08-12, 12:52
Dear Tomcat, Here is a big hug for you! I Have been struggling with extreme anxiety since mid-June after a nervous breakdown. I don't feel that I can function normally at all. The saddest thing is that I don't feel like I am a good mother for my children. And I feel so alone with this. So I really can relate to you post, Tomcat.

bottleblond
06-08-12, 13:04
Hi

I could work when I had bad anxiety but when the Agoraphobia set in again, there was no way I could have held down a job.

Was a good question

Love Lisa
xx

Serenitie
06-08-12, 13:45
Hi Tomcat

I don't believe there is a straightforward answer to this one. A combination of factors contribute to how well you are able to function (with anxiety in particular, in my experience) including the presence of a good support network of family, friends and professional help, insight into and commitment to managing your mental health, financial stability and access to treatment options available.

I managed anxiety and panic attacks successfully and functioned well for 11 years through university and a high pressured career during which time I travelled often including south east asia alone and lived a full and satisfying life.

However, in the last year I was made redundant, suffered financial loss and pressure (ongoing - I have a mortgage and live alone), relationship difficulties and eventual breakdown, increased isolation and lack of support due to job loss and increased anxiety which caused me to withdraw, culminating in agoraphobia. I refuse to accept agoraphobia as my future and I am battling it with every resource I have.

The level of functioning you are capable of at any given time is not always down to choice but also the result of circumstances, and the number and impact of life events experienced during that period which impact on mental health and functioning.

However, in my opinion, changing your current level of functioning has to be a choice you make and are willing to fully commit to with hard work and determination.

Magic
06-08-12, 13:51
It's true what Nicola says. I do not go to work now, but it is still difficult
when i reach a bad patch you JFDI anyway or rely on someone who understands
to help out.
Tomcat, I can relate to what you say about been robbed of your life with your kids
I was at my worst when my kids were young. I just do not know how I coped.
Sending you and everyone else hugs:hugs::hugs::hugs:

Annie0904
06-08-12, 13:54
I couldn't even make it downstairs on the days my anxiety was really bad and there was no way I could even walk into my doctors surgery..on a good day they would let me in the back door but mostly he did home visits. A few years later I am back to work and able to go out places but I remember watching 'normal' people on TV going for meals and family outings and thinking "I wish I could do that" Sometimes I would make the effort but I would get so far in the car and start to cry and my husband had to take me home. It has got easier for me now but I often get anxiety attacks again and can't go out. Hugs!

ElizabethJane
06-08-12, 18:38
My heart goes out to you if you are unable to work through anxiety/depression. My main problem was depression and it seems finally at aged 51 I have it beat. I spent most of my early adult life unable to work and in hospital for long periods. I have to work at it but I have been in my current job for ten years with few days off sick. I had to 'pretend' I was ok even when I wasn't. I'm still on lots of medication but have had no serious relapses for many years. I am fortunate as I have a good support network. Don't be beaten by your demons. EJ