PDA

View Full Version : Feel like I can't face another day on Citalopram :'(

Mand1978
07-08-12, 13:13
Hi Everyone,

I'm new here and am on my 13th day of Citalopram. I have a history of mild depression/anxiety/eating issues and have been on Citalopram twice before. The first time I was on 10mg for about 3 months before I stupidly just stopped, then a year later (2 years ago) started 20mg but only took them for a month.

My depression/anxiety has got so bad that I bit the bullet and got a prescription for 20mg two weeks ago. But so far I feel worse!! I'm a keen gym goer and am really struggling to find the energy and enthusiasm to go. I am tired all the time, dizzy, my muscles ache, I'm tearful, I feel I just want to hide away all the time and not being able to go to the gym is making my pre-occupation with my weight even worse. I am so tempted to give up on these meds to feel human again, but worried that I will never ever get better if I do.

Please, can anyone give me any advice? I can't get an appointment to see my doctor until the 17th August.

Amanda x

nomorepanic
07-08-12, 13:24
Hi Amanda

Please remember that you don't have to take medication to get better. There are other self-help things you can do and also CBT. Have you been referred for that?

I think you either have to stick with the side effects or stop the medication and maybe see if there is something else you could take instead.

Mand1978
07-08-12, 13:56
Thank you. I was offered counselling but didn't take up the offer when first mentioned as the doctor who presecribed my meds wasn't my usual doctor, so I am waiting to see him on the 17th. I think I might mention that. Although I had counselling a few years ago when my marriage broke up and didn't find it helped all that much. In fact it just seemed to make me more upset.

Iggy131313
07-08-12, 16:53
Hi Mand, and welcome, I understand how you are feeling and the side effects of Citalopram can really get you down, the general concensus and in my personal experience the tablets can make you feel alot worse before they make you feel ALOT BETTER!

Akin to your weight loss, it takes alot of hard work to start to see the results, and it sounds to me like your doing really really well.

The decision is yours but you have nearly done 2 weeks now and what you are feeling are the side effects of the meds, these should go soon and the beneficial effects should start to kick in soon, before you know it your motivation will be right back with you and you will be pounding the treadmill with renewed enthusiam.

Its so hard, and I empathise completely, speak to the doctor that you know and are comfortable with and maybe just keep on taking them until you go?

Dont feel down chuckie, its a long process with these drugs and the people on this board are really nice and will support you with the difficult days (which are most days when starting or restarting cit)

message me if you want, Im always around to talk. xx

nomorepanic
07-08-12, 17:36
Re the counselling - that is not like CBT at all. I had counselling for something else and it made me feel worse too!

southey
07-08-12, 19:02
I am so tempted to give up on these meds to feel human again, but worried that I will never ever get better if I do.

Amanda x

The thing is Amanda it's the meds that can make you feel human again or at least start the process.

Yes there are other things to try like CBT but for me it took the Citalopram to get me to a point where I could feel well enough to take advantage of other therapies.

You have done well in getting two weeks in but expect the grots to last another week or two. Its a case of toughing it out I'm afraid but as most others on here will tell you it's well worth it.

ATB,

Steve:)

theharvestmouse
07-08-12, 19:06
I came off Citalopram for the same reason, it sapped all my energy from my body.

Mand1978
08-08-12, 08:54
Thank you so much for your very kind welcome and replies everyone :D.

I decided last night to drag myself to Step class and once there and the music had started I found myself re-energised. Worked really hard and was able to sleep better last night. I feel brighter this morning than I have in the last two weeks and my muscles aren't aching as much as they have been. So I'm going to keep on with the meds and see how I go. I know there will be other tough days, but the hope of good days, and knowing that I have support on here will make up for that.

I will also talk to my doctor about CBT. It seems to be pretty beneficial from what I've been reading on it. So maybe worth giving a go, especially as a lot of my problem is very negative thoughts about myself as a person and my body. :o)