PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help with this?

Gale2509
08-08-12, 18:47
I'm a long term sufferer of anxiety and panic, things have been marginally better over the last year though so I was pretty much functioning 'normally' however, that's fine whilst I'm not rocking the boat! I'm now going home to UK from middle east to visit family and friends in 24 hrs time and I'm literally sick with anxiety. I've stopped sleeping, lost all appetite, having panic attacks, all the physical symptoms are back too. This has been going on for about 2 weeks and its pretty obvious it's related to the holiday. I'm a very nervous traveller, hate, hate, hate flying and the idea of 2 flights tomorrow and a total of 15 hrs door to door is terrifying. Im flying with my baby for the first time also which is increasing my worry in case she won't settle, my husband has absolutely no time or sympathy for any of this and thinks its totally pathetic and I should just get a grip, so no use in talking to him. He's obviously aware I'm distressed by the symptoms I listed above, he just chooses to ignore me and spend as much time away from me as possible - that's another post in its self! Anyway, back to the point, I'm petrified and although I'm certain I'm going to make it, I have been known to have such a bad meltdown on boarding we've missed the flight! Plus once I'm up there, I'm convinced I can't possibly feel any worse and i'll be fine once we've landed, except I'm not, in fact, I feel worse, I usually end up in the airport toilets so nauseated and Ill, it's worse than the flight itself. Any tips or advice on reducing the anxiety and the aftermath? I would really appreciate some advice from anyone that can understand this. Lastly I've considered medication in the past, but I'm so terrified of taking any medicines so don't want to add to the anxiety, plus too late to get anything now unless it's OTC. Xxxxx

Kell
09-08-12, 11:29
Hi there,

Sorry to hear that you're feeling so bad. I can totally relate to your travel anxiety and sympathise that you feel that you are going through this alone.

Although I have no magic answer, I would just try to be as prepared as you can be - have a sick bag with you, have a bottle of water, something to read or watch for a distraction, dress in layers so that you can cool yourself down if you get hot & bothered. Try to keep as relaxed as you can and take slow deep breaths.

Perhaps explain at check in that you're a nervous flyer & ask if you could have an aisle seat near the toilets?

Good luck with your trip. Be strong x

Annie0904
09-08-12, 11:47
I use Bach rescue remedy to calm me down before the flight. You can buy it at most chemists and it is natural. I also take some relaxing music with me. Try to think of the positives, I know that isn't easy to do and I wish I could convince myself the same sometimes! Usually on long haul flights the air staff and very helpful especially if you have a baby with you. Let them know when you board that you are an anxious flyer. I hope that you have a good time with your family in the UK :hugs: