PDA

View Full Version : attacks of panic right after falling asleep - dizzy, nauseous

stirred
09-08-12, 08:19
Hi all,

Lately I have developed this problem where, some nights, I will have just fallen asleep and then in under 15 minutes I wake up again, feeling highly panicked, dizzy, and nauseous. Usually, because I am half-asleep, I try to 'push through' it by going back to sleep. I always end up waking up because the nausea and dizziness are so bad, have a little panic attack, and then finally fall asleep suddenly out of exhaustion from the panic process. The panic attack is real, although short compared to my usual, and usually more located in my stomach than usual panic attacks. I pace around, have a cigarette, try to calm down. Then I'll resign to the fact that I'm not falling asleep anytime soon, and try to do something distracting/relaxing. I then will find in the morning that I fell asleep with the light/computer on, sometimes I have fallen asleep in the middle of a tv show on the computer.

It is a very consistent and strange process that usually happens (I guess) because of anxiety about waking up early the next day for work. I'm not worried about the insomnia part because I think it is just due to my constantly changing work schedule. But what worries me is the extreme dizziness and nausea that starts the cycle in the first place. I'll be falling asleep and then, right as I am drifting away, I am jolted awake by it. It's awful. Does anyone else experience this? :weep: