PDA

View Full Version : Heart fears literally ruining my life now...feel silly and need support desperatley

geishagirl
09-08-12, 15:16
Hi Everyone

I am really needing some support. I suffered with anxiety and in particular health anxiety for years and was on slow releasing beta blockers. I have been off these for around 6 years now and was doing great. I had a breast cancer scare but that was all OK. I recently kept getting palpitations but my ECG came back clear. I told my Dr I was getting a numb tingly left arm at times and in upper chest but as the ECG was clear and as my chest pains were quite high he did some physical exams and found I probably had a trapped nerve.

However, I keep getting the odd tightness or pinched feeling in the middle of my chest or a slight burn. I also get them on the upper left of my chest by my breast bone. I am terrified I have a heart issue. I played badminton last night but had to stop half an hr in because I was terrified of a heart attack after reading so many reports of young people or those with heart issues who drop dead. I am 29 and 5’6 and a size 10 (9 stone).

This is ruining my life. I am off to Budapest in 2 weeks and terrified of a heart attack on the plane. I don’t want meds again so it is not worth seeing my Dr. Should I request an echocardiogram? I start my teacher training course which I have worked hard to get to in September and worried stress will cause me a heart attack.

nomorepanic
09-08-12, 18:26
I don't think it is heart related to be honest.

It is more likely to be muscular or trapped wind or indigestion or acid reflux.

You NEED to do the exercise to keep the heart healthy as well.

They won't give you an echo unless they deem it necessary because of the cost etc.

I would go on holiday and enjoy it to be honest

Zolofted
09-08-12, 20:01
I know how you feel, it's so sad.
The doctor that saw me in the ER last time said I shouldn't go to see other doctors, but it's hard. therefore I went to my GP and asked for heart tests. I don't know if I should have as the thought of having the tests is panicking me really bad.

Also have some holiday from work (had to take it) but not going anywhere because I am too scared I will get ill abroad or have to be taken to hospital. And I did not have any holidays this year so it would have been nice:(

I used to ride my bike a lot before anxiety hit a few months ago, now I am too scared to do it as last time I rode my bike my heart was beating so fast, I couldn't even feel my pulse. This is one of my big worries now, that is was I dread having the stress test:(
I don't even take the stairs anymore as I know that if I feel my heart beating too fast I would panic badly.

If you think that having an unltrasound will calm you down and you will accept after that your heart is healthy, then by all means do it.
If it will only last a few days until the symptoms return and you'll seek reassurance again, what is the point?

If they had any reasons at all to believe there was something wrong, then they would have done all the tests.

I wish I could find an explanation to what causes all these symptoms, but I am afraid no one really knows, apart from "it's anxiety".
I was reading an article today about fake pregnancies and how they can't really explain those either, among lots of other "mental" illnesses. It's like the brain tricks your body into thinking you're pregnant. And you get all the symptoms too, go figure!

I wish you lots of calm and a rational mind;) that's all we need

geishagirl
10-08-12, 14:41
i try to be rational and think 'Well I am OK when with friends etc and out'. This mainly happens at night or when i focus on it like now.

Every little twinge sends a bolt of adrenaline through me which makes my feet tingle. This alone panicks me that the adrenaline will stop my heart.

nomorepanic
10-08-12, 14:49
The adrenaline will not stop your heart at all so don't worry about that