PDA

View Full Version : My son this time :(

Munchlet
10-08-12, 12:40
Hi everyone

I've not been on the forum for a few weeks as I've had quite a bit going on with my son and now my HA is about him not myself for a change.

I'll try and make a long story short!

About a year ago my son started to regurgitate his food, he's 7 years old and this had never happened before so I got his some gaviscon as I suffer intemittently from reflux and thought it might just be a one off.

Anyway it wasn't and it has been going on for a year now and he's been back and forth to the doctors no medication has worked and he's now had a PH probe done and a barium meal.

The whole episode has been more stressful as the hospital has been awful, but I won't dwell on that.

The outcome is the consultant said his PH reading is high at 18 and he definately has reflux, she can't find his barium meal results but thinks she remembers seeing them and they were normal (not particularly reassuring and I am chasing this up as I want to know it was definately normal.)

The consultant is now recommending an operation, which has me worried sick, it involves wrapping part of the stomach round the osophaegous and she went on and on about what can go wrong if they get it too tight etc which hasn't filled me with confidence (not that I had any in the first place), but I just think it seems a bit drastic.

I understand if medicines aren't working we need to look at other options but I'm looking into getting him tested for food allergies as I've noticed it is worse after certain foods.

I think what I'm asking is does anyone have any experience of this op and can they give any insight on it?

I just don't think I can put my little boy through that and Acid does run in our family but fortunately all ours seems to respond to intermittent medication when needed.

My husbands cousin had reflux when she was about my son's age and her mum is a nurse, she said she went for all the tests and then all of a sudden it just stopped, so I'm also thinking I don't want to put him through an operation if there's a chance it could sort itself out.

Help any views/advice would be appreciated.
Many thanks