PDA

View Full Version : Lansoprazole

susan1963
10-08-12, 17:11
hi can anyone advise please ive been taking Lansoprazole for 6 weeks at one a day 30mg for mild acid reflux the thing is im too scared to stop taking them now because im worried that the reflux will come back with avengence i googled it and most people said there reflux came back bad a day or so after stopping them so i dont know what to do now please can anyone advise me on what to do :weep:

bernie1977
10-08-12, 18:57
If you can stop taking them do. Lansoprazole are from a group of medicines called PPI's and they drastically reduce the amount of stomach acid produced. If you stop taking them after long term use you will get rebound acid when you stop, so you have to taper off them. With just 6 weeks use I would try and come off them and if you do get any acid try gaviscon or ask your GP to prescribe a H2 blocker like ranitidine to see if that works.

There has been a few things in the press recently about the long term effects of PPI's that were not first known about. I've been on Lansoprazole and now on Omeprazole for a long time and have managed to half my dose but it was hard due to the rebound acid.

Unless you stop the medication you won't know if you still have acid reflux. If you do have it see if a weaker medication can control it. Also avoid all potential food and drink triggers. It is also recommended that you elevate your bed and sleep on your left side.

Hope this is of some help!

susan1963
10-08-12, 19:56
thanks for your reply i still have a feeling like theres air in my throat and sometimes i feel like im going to be sick with it and get it every other day also my stomach hurts slightly sometimes below my ribs and so i dont know if this is reflux or globus, i never get any burning in my chest tho also can i get this feeling of air in my throat on waking in the mornings from reflux ? im soooo confused on whether i got symptoms of globus or reflux

mk4402
10-08-12, 22:10
I took this stuff for reflux for about 2 weeks a few times and stopped and it had gone completely, I'm pretty sure that long term use of this stuff makes your stomach acid get too low, which causes the same symptoms as high stomach acid

susan1963
10-08-12, 22:22
thankyou, im just worried that if i stop taking them the reflux will come back worse which ive been reading on google