PDA

View Full Version : Really worried...Pins and needles!

shotokansho
11-08-12, 20:43
Hi all.
I have been anxious all day over pins and needles in my fingers. It's in my little finger and the finger next to it on my left hand, it's also in the hand under my fingers. It's really annoying and I'm concerned because It's been there all day.
Any idea's anyone?

nomorepanic
11-08-12, 20:48
It could be carpal tunnel syndrome but pins and needles is common with anxiety as well

Are you breathing correctly?

shotokansho
11-08-12, 20:57
Hi Nic. Yeah I am breathing ok not short of breath or anything. I had a hell of a lot to drink last night, do you think that could have something to do with it?

Lizziesaurus
11-08-12, 22:01
Pins and needles can sometimes be a sign of a trapped nerve.
I really would try not to worry, if it continues see your doc, see what they say. But I bet it'll go pretty soon :)

Anxious_gal
12-08-12, 00:56
It's either a trapped nerve, so try stretching, massage your neck and shoulders, take a warm bath.
Or it's anxiety so you'll have to try and relax and wait it out.

You know it's anxiety when there's no change in the sensations after stretching and massaging.

I get both and they aren't dangerous.

Jsp
12-08-12, 02:05
Pins and needles is a common sign of anxiety, and is due to restricted air and blood flow in your fingers. This is due to your breathing getting more shallow as you are anxious, but you probably won't notice this. You can start to normalise this by deep breathing, taking a breath in for three seconds, hold it for one second, then breathe out for another three. Keep doing this and it will relax you and restore a normal breathing pattern.

There's also the possibility of having a trapped nerve. You can try and stretch this out and have a warm bath, as these can also be caused by being tense which traps a nerve, or by your spine if your posture is bad. Try to sit, stand a lay in bed properly.

Both of these are not serious, but if they are bothering you then you can see a doctor who will reassure you and give you any treatment :)

shotokansho
12-08-12, 11:08
Thank you so much for the replies everyone. I am feeling much better this morning. The pins and needles have gone and I feel more relaxed about it. I think I was scared because I have been having a weird heartbeat (which I did post about). I thought they may have been connected, plus yesterday I was feeling very rough anyway because I had serious hangover.
Thanks again everyone for the reassurance, if it happens again I will see doc.

gem7
12-08-12, 15:12
i get pins and needles in my fingers too but mine happens when i.m in bed a sleep its very annoying but i tend to wiggle my fingers till it goes it does help try that next time it happens i seem to get it everyday now probely is anxiety related cos i have that too