PDA

View Full Version : panic attacks

OZJO
13-08-12, 05:31
I have been having panic attacks since falling out with my daughter in law. Ihave not seen my son and grandchildren since last July.
because I,m not allowed to make contact I am unable to say the things that are eating at me and my nerves are frazzled.
there are always more than even 2 sides to every story but when you don,t get to even defend yourself you find yourself stewing.
someone told me recently that if you suffer panic attacks for an extended period then they will become part of your life forever. Is this true.

nomorepanic
13-08-12, 05:45
Hi OZJO

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

Julietta
13-08-12, 18:45
Hi ozjo,

I'm 53 and have had panic attacks since I was 48..they came like a bolt out of the blue at a very very stressful time in my life similar to the situation you find yourself in now..I was crippled with panic in the beginning I could not even leave the house..now I rarely have a panic attack but I still have trouble going very far from home..10 miles max.. but I am VERY much better than I was..I will be honest and say I think panic will always be a part of my life..but I've always been a bit nervous so I'm probably pre-disposed to panic disorder.. if you follow what the medical professionals tell you to beat panic I think you could put it in the past but you really need to resolve the root of the problem first..the rift with your family..if I were you I'd put everything thats eating away at you in a letter and post it off..all the very best : )

---------- Post added at 18:45 ---------- Previous post was at 18:40 ----------

PS a book that helped me more than anything else to get on top of panic was called 'At Last a Life' by Paul David himself a recovered sufferer..it can be bought on the well known online auction site.. understanding panic is the key to recovery.

dally
13-08-12, 18:50
I agee with Juiletta, I would put your feelings in a letter. Try to make it very short, with concise points and ask for a meeting with your son and/or wife.
I would also consider counselling. You say you have a lot of pent up feelings. A counsellor would allow you to express and vent them and mabey help you to sort them out. Sometimes emotion gets in the way and we cant see the woods for the trees.
A visit to the doc would help with the panic attacs via cbt

good luck
let me know how you get on