PDA

View Full Version : Big presentation to give - any tips?

Foo
13-08-12, 10:48
Hi, i'm hoping someone can give me some hints and tips on how to control and deal with the build up for me.

I have a big presentation to give to the directors at work in a few days time. I know my subject and i'm happy talking about it but............... i suffer panic attacks when I'm put infront of a bunch of people and I have to talk.

I take Propanlol to control some of the physical symptons, such as a racing heart, which in turn helps me with my hyperventilating. But it's the build up that's getting to me now. Already I can't sleep and it's constantly on my mind.

Anyone have any gems out there that will help me get over this or deal with it better?

littleredhen
13-08-12, 11:37
Get the basics right: do you know your stuff? is the presentation prepared and correct? are the directors expected to ask you questions, and if so, have you thought about what the questions will be and do you have the answers? As long as you have all the technical and knowledge bases covered, the presentation itself will be fine. They won't have asked you to do it if they thought you couldn't. Work is like that. They are not there to catch you out.

Secondly: admit to them that you are nervous of making presentations. Noone at work is really a b'stard and noone will enjoy your discomfort if you've told them (well individually, I know people can be b'stards, but it's extremely rare in a profession group of directors - they do tend to self-moderate their behaviour!). I have to make a lot of presentations, so I often tell people right up front something like "hello, thanks for coming and giving me the opportunity to talk to you about xxx - however, i am nervous of talking in front of groups of people, so bear with me!" The usual reaction is a nodding of heads and warm encouragement.

Thirdly: Ensure you are eating and sleeping enough. The sleep will be tricky while you are worrying, so eat pasta, toast or other carbs before bed, no caffeine, valarian or camomile tea. Lavender baths, etc, all the usual tricks to try to enduce a good night's sleep. You will perform better at the presentation if you are well nourished and rested. Don't forget to keep hydrated too!

On the day - avoid carbs (can make you bloated, flatulent and tired) Eat protein rich breakfast and veggies.

Other prep - practice breathing and talking out loud. Stand in front of a mirror and watch yourself talking. SLOW DOWN. It's FAR to easy to talk rapidly and come out garbled - which will only make people ask you more questions. Practice speaking each sentence seperately and a good breath between each sentence.

Make notes and tick off the points as you make them to make sure you are not missing out or skipping over anything important.

Most of all - try to remember and have confidence in what I said above - your work have confidence in you to make the presentation, otherwise they would have asked someone else. They think you can do, you can do it, so you just have to do it!

Good luck!

LRH.

Foo
13-08-12, 12:42
Thank you so much, that's a great help. I love the opening too :)

littleredhen
15-08-12, 09:49
And don't forget to tell us how it went !

Pipkin
15-08-12, 10:16
Foo,

LRH has given you some excellent advice - follow that and you'll fly through it.

The only thing I could add is to practise in front of a friend/colleague. You'll have been given a time slot for the presentation and, although people worry about running out of things to say, my experience is the opposite so make sure you don't run out of time.

As LRH days, have confidence. You've been asked to do it so your managers think you're the best person for the job.

Good luck

Pip

Meltdown
15-08-12, 18:49
Don't worry if you find yourself starting to go off on one, just before it is your turn to speak! - once you start speaking, you will start to relax!

If you are a little hyperventilated at first, ignore it - it will pass. It is probably impossible to hyperventilate and have a panic attack whilst actually speaking, and the breath control due to speaking will probably help you relax!

If you sound nervous at first, ignore it! I have heard a lot of very senior, confident people start to speak with a flutter in their vioce once they start to speak to a large crowd, and attributed it to something other than nerves. It's not - it IS nerves. We all get them, no matter how important or confident we think we are!

Speak very slowly, but without "ums" and "Er"s! It will make you sound authorative and confident, even though you may not be feeling it!

Finally - my favorite trick - If someone asks you an awkward question half way through your presentation, just say "I will be coming onto that later.." - Then don't! Chances are, no-one will notice when you don't - and what's the worst that can happen? you might have to answer it anyway, but the chances are reduced!

Meewah
26-08-12, 02:42
In a nutshell well said LRH. Excellent advice.

We are all different and I find that even though preparation is the key I have to stop for the last 24-48 hrs otherwise I get myself in to a panic and loose everything. I use techniques to completely help me forget about the looming speech. People sometimes ask me why I am doing what I am doing when I should be practising what to say but this is my way of coping because when I put myself under pressure to perform I fall apart, remove that and it flows well. Depends on you ability to work under pressure I suppose.

Mee