PDA

View Full Version : thirst

uk23
14-08-12, 02:11
Not really sure if this is a symptom but I'm curious. I've always loved drinking water and have done so with enthusiasm, however it wasn't until last year that I was told by a nurse that I must have either very good kidneys or diabetes. I had a test for the diab and was negative. Anyway my point is that I normally drink 8-12 litres of water per day. My piss is always water coloured and I have to pee around 25 times. I've tried drinking less but it doesn't work, I just get really tired. Most of the time I will down a litre at a time to get rid of the thirst.

So anyone here have an idea?

joy
14-08-12, 11:46
Think I'd ask for another diabetes test at the GP, urine and blood test cos the amount you are drinking isnt normal I dont think

Joy

nomorepanic
14-08-12, 11:53
I don't think you should drink that much - it is not good for you.

I am trying to remember what I heard recently about too much water - it depletes something in the body. I will post when I remember.

nomorepanic
14-08-12, 11:56
Ok it was to do with salt concentration of your blood.

Does your GP know you drink this much?

nomorepanic
14-08-12, 12:12
I did a bit of research for you and a lot of the problems you have and posted about before can be attributed to too much water in tbe body - like bloating, feeling tired and having to sleep all the time.

I really think you need to discuss this with a doctor.

uk23
15-08-12, 15:30
Thanks for the replies, especially Nicola. I have spoken to the GP and he said 'cut down to no more than 2L a day'. I find if I do this I still feel tired. I might give it another go although it's so confusing - not sure if it's meant to be 2L a day including the odd coffee, juice or fizzy drink, or just 2L per day + all the other drinks.

BigDaz
19-08-12, 16:48
It's probably 2L total but I think gradually cutting down, maybe over a number of weeks would be the best approach. It's quite a change to go from 12 to 2 overnight. If the thirst continues it might be worth getting a blood test done, they can tell all sorts of things from that and make sure everything's functioning OK.

Lilac58
19-08-12, 17:31
Have you had tests for diabetes insipidus?