PDA

View Full Version : anxiety higher week after starting gym

vicky23
14-08-12, 10:10
hi all,
so I felt like I was doing pretty well making good progress. My therapist suggested I join the gym and do some strength building exercise. I need to increase strength not lose weight so I don't do any cardio that makes me out of breath, heart hammer etc I have read that this can bring on a panic attack.
But in the 4 times I've been I feel good afterwards it's just the general levels of anxiety. I got up this morn and felt really high anxiety, this has happened in a long time it's just since I started the gym.

I am rationalising that it's due to stepping out of my comfort zone by going to the gym in the first place and then the increase in thoughts related to my health because of exercise i.e. 'have I done too much? have I given myself a hernia or damaged a muscle etc
Every time I go the idea is to increase the weight so I can't just stay in a comfortable place which is the whole idea of building strength I know but it just irritates and frustrates me that positive steps result in more anxiety!
Vicky
x