PDA

View Full Version : Pregabalin and ME- from Black Hole to Super Nova or a small cool faint RED Dwarf?

Ando1967
14-08-12, 23:41
Background major depression and anxiety and other things as yet poorly defined (maybe BP maybe BPD - maybe just "crazy")

On various ADs (years) and benzos (recent) - not doing well - psychiatrist suggested pregabalin

Pregabalin diary

Day 1 Tuesday 14-08-2012

9am 2 mg Valium
Anxious (level 2/5 all day)

3pm Pregabalin 75mg
Slept- rested – ruminated – very anxious level 3/5 and suicidal ideations

6 pm feeling okay – not anxious and not able to induce anxiety with negative issues looming over me at present
I might feel a bit despondent but not actually anxious
The drug-pushing idiot who lives next door and who has the most ridiculous squealing laugh isn’t annoying me – I hear it and think “you pathetic joker”
Kind of nervous about the rapid effect – is this in my head – ha ha one way or another – real or placebo – it’s in my head!!
<Feel a bit spaced>

8.30pm
Okay I realise I am definitely not angst free- not immune to it - if I was it wasn’t for long
My ex partner (FB) of 10 years + who now lives across the road with a mathematician (not really important who she is with but somehow adds flavour to the story) constantly rings my door bell and bangs the door until I got out of bed and answered it. A constantly ringing door bell – just holding the buzzer again and again is like a form of torture to me - I definitely went into a very angst ridden and subsequently depressed state- maybe 3/5 anxiety- punched myself in face – bit of bruising – this is not just about the door bell etc but a lot of other issues relating to FB
I hear the ridiculous squealing laugh of the drug-pushing idiot who lives next door and want to crush the pathetic joker (I put ear plugs in instead)
<Feel a bit spaced, tongue a bit metallic - >

9pm Pregabalin 75mg (on BID - take second dose of day 1- onl;y 6 hours after first but need something)
Go to bed and hope the assault of negativity, guilt, self-criticism and anxiety will end soon – I need to read about the pharmacokinetics of this drug. I feel like I am just a machine – add a new chemical – tweak a few things in the mechanics – and this fundamentally change ME? So what am I – who is the ME that can be so easily fundamentally altered. How can I be in a negative maelstrom and suicidal and take a drug and feel okay – maybe positive, useful, functional, capable etc is there a real ME or just permutations of ME based on concentrations of chemicals a and b in regions x and y etc
Hopefully I can get some peace and sleep tonight

10.30pm
I feel really good - negative thoughts but overall no anxiety - this is scarily good at present - it must be amazing to feel like this all the time? I guess it seems more incredible when you experience a more "normal" emotional state with negligible background anxiety in juxtaposition to the extreme agitation of anxiety-ridden states (i.e. where i was an hour ago). I can only pray that this will plateau and I will have some baseline of anxiety, which is bearable
<My mind is racing a bit>

hanshan
15-08-12, 08:38
Hi Ando,

Wonderful post. Keep your hopes up.

My experience is that pregabalin doesn't work for everyone, but if it is going to work, it tends to work quickly and at a fairly small dose. You do need to up the dose after a while as some tolerance develops, but most people find a level that suits them. Expect some temporary side effects.

It doesn't completely obliterate angst. My test is - if something happens to me that would make an ordinary person anxious, then pregabalin won't stop that anxiety. But it stops the free-floating anxiety that happily attaches itself to any minor thing.

Good luck, and keep posting.

Hanshan

Ando1967
15-08-12, 18:14
Day 2 Wednesday 15-08-2012

7am Pregabalin 75mg
Very depressed – more than I have been in the mornings - suicidal ideations and constant flow of negative thoughts but without the usual high anxiety – but still fairly anxious ~ level 2/5

8am 2 mg Valium
11.30am 4 mg Valium (tapering off valium usage)

8am to 2 pm– in bed until 2 pm – feel like a zombie – I feel so depressed and spaced – ruminating and low levels of anxiety – very unsteady on my feet when I get out of bed
I felt really positive after taking the doses last night and now feel that I am in reverse with the pedal flat to the floor
Is this to be expected early on? Maybe a start up side effect?
I am really terrified by the way I feel
I need to go to work soon – only doing a few hours in the afternoon since my recent bout of major ill defined "illness”

2pm to 6pm
Work – felt like the living dead- I feel that my frontal lobes have been homogenised – no emotion- no motivation – my mind is not working
Swim – 20 laps- exhausted and forced myself because I have to exercise (it will help me!!!!!!!! – it will improve my anxiety and depression!!!!!!!) so I swim and feel like I want to join the detritus that I see on the bottom of the pool
Screw this

hanshan
16-08-12, 02:50
Hi Ando,

Sorry to hear things aren't going as well as you hoped.

Pregabalin does make you feel spacey and uncoordinated at first, but it wears off in time.

Also, it is mostly effective for anxiety, not depression. It can be combined with an antidepressant. You mention that you have taken ADs in the past. Is there one that you have found effective for the depression side of things that you could combine with pregabalin?

Take care.

Hanshan

Coni
16-08-12, 18:17
Hi Ando, I take pregabalin with venlafaxine. I felt really dopey and drunk to begin with but that started to wear off (though did recur briefly with dosage increase). I also felt really clumsy and actually embarrassingly unsteady on my feet.

These effects have all settled down now though I did play about with the timing of my evening dose. I find if I take it too late then I am crushingly tired in the morning, despite sleeping really well.

Hope things improve for you soon.

X

Ando1967
16-08-12, 19:07
Thanks Hanshan - I am on escitalopram but have remained fairly depressed despite this rx. The psychiatrist thinks it's the anxiety issues - i.e. that i have more a primary anxiety problem and this leads to depression. This makes sense when i look at the pattern of my mood in relation to anxiety- hence the trial of pregabalin
Coni - I was wondering of i should take the pregabalin earlier as you have recommended - when do you take it?
Thanks for your comments
David
Day 3 Thursday 16-08-2012

Still awake at 5 am so very little sleep

7am Pregabalin 75mg
Anxiety crept up on me but I managed to hold it at bay, which amazed me (I recite a little litany of things I am working on – thoughts which help me keep centred - keep perspective and generally positive things etc)
Managed to get a few more hours sleep between 7 and 11 but totally exhausted and seeing the world through a fog- I feel a bit derealized
The longer I was in bed the more depressed I became – fairly anxious ~ level 2/5
Stay in bed until 1.30, as I haven’t the energy to get up- I contact work to say I can’t come in

12 pm Valium 4 mg – trying not to take Valium but need some rest?
Valium maybe helped stop the anxiety, which was building

3 pm
Drag my sorry soul to the builders’ merchant to buy some plumbing supplies
Feeling a bit better re mood and anxiety but very tired

7 pm
Going for a swim now – will try for 20 laps- kills me BUT must be good for me

Coni
16-08-12, 19:57
Hi david, I take 50 mg in the morning and then 200mg at about 7pm (ish). I do forget sometimes and take it at bedtime and I know Ill have a foggy head in the morning.

Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

X

Ando1967
17-08-12, 21:23
Coni - i took the pregabalin earlier last night and i seemed better this AM but n=1 so we will see
I notice you take a big dose in the evening and low dose AM - is that due to tiredness? I might discuss this with my psychiatrist

Day 4 Friday 17-08-2012

Slept last night 11pm till 5 am – anxiety not to bad on waking – it is more like negative thoughts without anxiety on top

7am Pregabalin 75mg

Slept a bit more- head very foggy – got up at 11am

5pm Managed to go to work and felt like my spirits were better – definitely significant improvement re anxiety levels (1/5 at most). Very flat now and need to lie down. So far no benzos today

7pm Pregabalin 75mg
I have shifted 1 cubic meter of pebbles this evening – more activity than I have been capable of in 6 months
The usual bombardment of negative thoughts but not anxious

Coni
18-08-12, 13:59
Yes it is due to the tiredness, and I was really worried about not feeling sharp at work (making a mistake at work is one of my big anxieties, but I also have a very stressful job so had to try and find balance somehow). It may be worth your while discussing this :).

X

Ando1967
18-08-12, 21:28
Day 5 Saturday 18-08-2012

No sleep last night – went to bed at 10 still awake at 5 am
Then obviously knackered today
Very little anxiety but moderately depressed- didn’t achieve much – a lot of time in bed as so tired

7am Pregabalin 150mg
8pm Pregabalin 150mg
Increased pregabalin dose for no other reason than pure frustration relating ot my
ongoing insomnia and it’s subsequent ramifications - definite positive effects re the level
of anxiety

hanshan
19-08-12, 01:49
Hi David,

Good to hear that the pregabalin is having some effect on the anxiety. I hope the increase in dose helps. The maximum is 600 mg per day in Australia.

Sorry to hear about the insomnia. You may want to consider switching your AD (although I know you have had trouble with that in the past). I am taking mirtazapine 45 mg per day. Like all ADs, it gets mixed reports, but many people say that it helps them to sleep.

Hang in there.

Hanshan

JT69
19-08-12, 10:32
Hi Ando

I take 50mg in the morning and 50mg at night along with 7.5mg of mirtazipine....pregabalin really turned my life around but with anxiety...hope it helps you.

Jo.x

Ando1967
19-08-12, 18:55
Day 6 Sunday 19-08-2012

Little sleep last night – still awake at 3 am
Slept/ lay in bed most of the day – sooo tired
I seem to manage being out of bed (usually tired and depressed) about 4 to 8 hours a day – this is questionable in terms of quality of life
Anxiety levels are much reduced (averaging 1/5) so I have that to be thankful for!!!!!

7am Pregabalin 150mg
Will take 8pm Pregabalin 150mg

---------- Post added at 18:55 ---------- Previous post was at 18:46 ----------

Thanks Hansan and Jo
I had a trial on Mirtazapine but my liver enzymes went up (seems that this is a potential problem with this drug and there are some well documented reports concerning it's adminitstration and ALT (liver enzyme alanine amino transferase) elevations - and I also became manic and had pyschotic episodes - it was prescribed with the view to helping with my insomnia (central histamine receptor effect) but unfortunately "we" didn't get along well... My hope is that if my anxiety levels drop (and they seem to be) my insomnia will improve .... i think if i could sleep (i have never slept since i was a little boy) my life would be very different buit anyway there are lots of things that i want to change - I just need to keep plugging away... Jo - i am really happy for you i.e. in that the pregabalin seems to have made so much difference- i don't think it's easy to convey to people how horrendous it is to live with constant anxiety - low grade or fuill blown panic- it rips your soul to pieces - I hope things continue to go well for you
LOL
DD

hanshan
20-08-12, 05:19
Hi David,

Have you tried morning light therapy (sunlight is free, but I think there are commercial light boxes available) to get your circadian rhythms back in sync? I think it has to be a fairly bright light source, not just an ordinary room light.

Hanshan

Ando1967
20-08-12, 13:19
No Hanshan I haven't had experience with light therapy but will look into it- I was intersted in melatonin but you can't buy it in the UK (cf OZ) - you need a script and my GP/pyschiatrist will not give me one (for reasons i don't understand given that it is such a benign treatment)
p.s. it is available for over 55s in the UK as a prescription so its use for me would be "off label"

Thanks for the suggestion
David

hanshan
21-08-12, 02:53
Hi David,

I'm not an expert in this, but I think the theory goes like this: In the normal cycle, melatonin is produced at night and ceases during the day. Some people's cycles get disrupted and they produce melatonin during the day, making them sleepy, but not enough at night, giving them insomnia.

Viewing bright light during the morning is meant to stop the production of melatonin during the day and and increase wakefulness.

The complement to this is to avoid bright lighting at night to allow melatonin production. It is the blue light contained in white light that prevents melatonin production. For this reason, some people recommend wearing "blue-blocker" yellow tinted glasses at night. There is also a free software program called f.lux which automatically adjusts computer screens to reduce blue light at night.

Hope this helps.

Hanshan

Ando1967
22-08-12, 00:19
really interesting Hanshan - i will look into these suggestions.
thanks David

---------- Post added at 00:19 ---------- Previous post was at 00:14 ----------

Day 7 Monday 20-08-2012

I slept a little bit more last night- asleep about 2 am
Anxiety levels being well controlled during day, which is great, but generally mood very low and I am still struggling with tiredness

7am Pregabalin 150mg
8pm Pregabalin 150mg

Day 8 Tuesday 21-08-2012

Very bad morning - mood low – in bed till 1pm - I can feel the turmoil and anxiety below the surface – almost palpable but the pregabalin seems to be keeping a lid on things . Went to work for 2 hours then home to bed for an hour – amazing how many hours you can be asleep in a day

7am Pregabalin 150mg
8pm Pregabalin 150mg

hanshan
22-08-12, 12:59
Hi David,

I have to say, while I have long been an advocate of getting out into the sunshine as early as possible, for various reasons, I can't vouch for the efficacy of light boxes or yellow tinted glasses. However, I have switched my computer over to the tangerine glow of f.lux at night.

Merck is also in the final stages of trialling a new sleeping pill, Suvorexant, which may provide some relief for insomnia.

Ando1967
22-08-12, 22:55
Thanks again Hanshan

Day 8 Tuesday 21-08-2012

Got more sleep last night but things not getting better during the day
It seems I can sleep pretty much most of the day- I am weighed down by a gloomy grey duvet of dread and lifelessness – it seems to start to lift about 3 pm and then by 5-6 things are getting better. I have this every day but thanks to the Progabalin it is without the anxiety which to be honest was pushing me over the edge. I just feel that my whole biological clock is completely out of whack. I need my 3pm to be happening at 8 am!
Anyway I hjave ordered melatonin from OZ and I will trial the tangerine glow of f.lux J

7am Progabalin 150mg
8pm Progabalin 150mg

hanshan
23-08-12, 12:37
Hi David,

I had a friend who used to work through the night, went to bed around daybreak, and got up around 5pm every day, and other friends in live theatre who went to bed well after midnight, and never got out of bed before 10am. I'm not sure what I'm trying to say, but they weren't unhappy because those hours suited their lifestyle. Anyway, I welcome your response.

Ando1967
23-08-12, 19:20
Day 9 Wednesday 22-08-2012

Got more sleep last night but things not getting better during the day
It seems I can sleep pretty much most of the day- I am weighed down by a gloomy grey duvet of dread and lifelessness – it seems to start to lift about 3 pm and then by 5-6 things are getting better. I have this every day but thanks to the Pregabalin it is without the anxiety which to be honest was pushing me over the edge. I just feel that my whole biological clock is completely out of whack. I need my 3pm to be happening at 8 am!
Anyway I hjave ordered melatonin from OZ and I will trial the tangerine glow of f.lux J

7am Progabalin 150mg
8pm Progabalin 300mg

Day 10 Thursday 23-08-2012

I accidentally took 300 mg pregabalin last night (forgot I had taken dose already) and today was the best day I have had in months - co-incidence? anyway I was up early (11am – okay not early for a normal person but early for me given my recent sleep issues) went swimming then to work – then home to move another cubic meters of pebbles for my backward (I know a very exciting life)… more importantly I have not felt tired or anxious or depressed- a little sad but once again compared to recent times it was a dramatic improvement- in a crazy way I get nervous when I feel good! It’s so unusual for me and such a relief that I am scared that it is going to be taken away from me – I am scared I will lose it! I should be grateful for the days – hours – minutes?? when I don’t feel like the world is collapsing on top of me! It would be good to feel okay and be relaxed about it (I assume that’s what a lot of people without significant mental health issues feel) but maybe they don’t even appreciate feeling okay – or even good because they don’t spend so much times trapped in a dark anxiety ridden blanket so they don’t have the “fresh” memories of how bad it can get – and as a consequence can’t really appreciate how good it is to just feel okay??? - does that makes some sense is it overtly over analytical gibberish

Hanshan – I know what you are getting at – my brother works “dogwatch” in a coal mine in OZ and he is fine with his very “abnormal” sleep cycle- I work in a position where I have to be at work at 8 am so getting out of bed at 1pm 2 pm 5 pm !! etc isn’t really going to work. If i worked 5pm to 3 am that would be perfect and i would not be as stressed by my sleep pattern – BUT today was better so fingers crossed

I am going to try the 300 mg dose again tonight

7am Progabalin 150mg
8pm Progabalin 300mg

Ando1967
24-08-12, 13:01
Day 11 Friday 24-08-2012

Slept 4 hrs last night – feel completely alert and awake today – maybe slightly manic
This drug seems to be giving me a crazy ride- I just hope it doesn’t go full circle as I am not anxious – I am less depressed (although I am having the odd wobbly moment) and being a little manic is okay – I just don’t want it to get out of control
n.b. I have an appetite – I have had major issues with anorexia all my life and especially when I am depressed/anxious – I have not been able to eat any solids until night time for 3 months- I feel physically nauseous if I try and eat food before this time and have been on a liquid diet throughout the day and even that is a struggle – from day 2 of pregabalin I have been more interested food in the morning (still shakes but not having to force them down) and I am able to eat solids during the day. I am actually hungry which I have only ever been at night - usually after I have drunk alcohol from which I am now completely abstaining
Anyway I need to be careful as I think I am putting on too much weight but to have an appetite - to be able to eat during the day is fabulous ha ha - so simple – just eating – another thing I am sure is largely taken for granted – now after half a lifetime (I am assuming that I will live to the average life expectancy of the Western World which I guess is possible but seriously this is not an issue for me – I just want a bit of “time” without my head doing a number on me – some time of internal peace – sorry I have digressed) – so I seem to be able to eat without effort or a sense that I am forcing myself – there is a pleasure in simple wanting and being able to eat J

Plan for today:
7am Progabalin 150mg
8pm Progabalin 300mg

hanshan
24-08-12, 13:43
Hi David,

I'm so glad that pregabalin seems to be making a difference. In my experience, there's a point past which it doesn't work, which you still have to deal with. Nevertheless, for me it's been a godsend.

I've looked at the internet for the sale of melatonin in Australia. I have to say that I've been living in Japan for the past 18 months, so I may not be up with the latest changes to laws regulating what is available. However, to the best of my knowledge, melatonin was available only on prescription when I left Australia, and that has not changed. However, melatonin is available over the counter in the US, and there don't seem to be many restrictions on importing a small supply for private use into Australia.

The internet seems to have a number of brands advertising melatonin in Australia. But if the above rules are true, they can't be selling melatonin directly in Australia. Either the Australian address links to a US source, or the product isn't really melatonin.

A key here is the word "homeopathic". This means that the active ingredient has been diluted to the point that not even one molecule may be in the preparation, ie it is just water. Homeopaths argue that a "memory" of the active ingredient remains, but really, homeopathic melatonin contains no actual melatonin. I suspect that the Australian melatonin is "homeopathic". Also, the brands that I see advertising melatonin online in Australia don't include familiar supermarket brand names, which is a cause for concern.

I would buy melatonin from the US, where it is freely available. That way, you are sure of getting the real deal.

Ando1967
24-08-12, 18:55
Thanks Hanshan - I will explore the sourcing of melatonin in more detail. Can you clarify what you mean by the point at which pregabalin doesn't work yet you say it has been a Godsend ? Do you still use it even though it stopped working ??? I really hope it doesn't stop working for my anxiety as this seems to be a major step forward for me.
Thanks again
David

hanshan
25-08-12, 06:02
Hi David,

Sorry, I wasn't totally clear in what I said. I've been taking pregabalin for about two years now and it has worked consistently the whole time. What I meant about a point at which it stops working is that it doesn't guarantee a 100% anxiety-free life. If something extra-stressful like an examination or a job interview comes along, then pregabalin won't stop (all) the anxiety coming from that - but it takes the anxiety down to a normal level which ordinary people experience.

Pregabalin has given me the confidence to take up a job in Japan - not without its stresses, but an experience I am very glad to have.

Ando1967
25-08-12, 18:02
Thanks Hanshan
I have to say I still recognise the anxiety in very stressful situations (my job is very stressful) but it is not overwhelming - i am relieved that's what you meant because to be honest I think i would be lost without it's effects and I haven't even been using it for a fortnight p.s. Hanshan what dose are you on out of interest?
ta
D

hanshan
26-08-12, 12:01
Hi David,

I'm on the maximum dose of 600 mg per day. More than that plus a heart medication that I occasionally take literally makes me go weak at the knees, so I think it's the limit for me.

Ando1967
27-08-12, 19:24
Day 12 Saturday 25-08-2012

Slept 6 hrs! Great – felt awake at 7 but got very depressed re thinking about events at work yesterday – could not get motivated (but not anxious) – took zopiclone and slept all day – up late afternoon felt better and managed to go out for dinner

7am Pregabalin 150mg
8pm Pregabalin 200mg

Day 13/14 Sunday/Monday 26/27-08-2012

Depressed re work issues- slept most of the day – anxiety being held under wraps but I can feel it
trying to get out (only reaching a level 1/5 on my anx scale but champing at the bit)

7am Pregabalin 150mg
8pm Pregabalin 200mg

hanshan
29-08-12, 02:43
Hi David,

You've only been on pregabalin a short time. Hopefully with pregabalin controlling the anxiety, you will be better able to deal with work issues as they arise.

Ganbatte kudasai (as they say in Japan).

Hanshan

Ando1967
29-08-12, 21:21
Thanks hanshan
It's really odd- i have worked under very high pressure for years - most of my life and always coped (thought I coped) - i now realise that there was always a level of anxiety just below the surface. Maybe that is needed. I have just tipped into a state of being dysfunctional. I have to say my current levels of pressure are fairly overwhleming. I need to simplify my life but it's hard when u are in the middle of a mental crisis, have commitments including a mortgage and all the rest. As my mum used to say "stop the World I want to get off" anyway thanks for your support
D

hanshan
31-08-12, 09:30
Hi David,

I think I was the same with work - always a low level of anxiety, but generally able to cope. What tipped things for me was being given a management position - something I didn't actively seek, and which I don't think I'm totally suited to. I kept going for five years, but in the end I had to call it quits.

The good news is that, not so long after, the chance for my current job came along (plus pregabalin). So here I am in Japan, and pretty happy (most of the time).

So keep fighting. You never know the twists and turns that life can take.

Hanshan

Ando1967
03-09-12, 21:06
Day 15 Tuesday 27-08-2012

Overall coping a bit better with stress and anxiety being controlled – stressful work meetings today but managed to keep it together

7am Pregabalin 200mg
8pm Pregabalin 200mg

Day 16/17 Wednesday/Thursday 28/29-08-2012

Wednesday a bad day in bed could not go to work very tired and depressed – anxiety raised a bit but still well controlled I think (before pregabalin I would have been an anxiety ridden ball) – Thursday better – managed to go to work for a few hours and went for a swim in the evening

7am Pregabalin 200mg
8pm Pregabalin 200mg

Day 18 Friday 30-08-2012

Bad day in bed could not go to work very tired and depressed – anxiety raised a bit but still well controlled I think – did not get to work

7am Pregabalin 150mg
8pm Pregabalin 150mg

Day 19 Saturday 31-08-2012

Started new AD - no sleep – awake at 12pm – no anx or significant depression just no motivation

7am Pregabalin 150mg
8pm Pregabalin 150mg

Day 20/21 Sunday/Monday 1/2-09-2012

In bed most of the time but not anxious or depressed – really odd just complete lack of motivation – locked in head with thoughts

7am Pregabalin 150mg
8pm Pregabalin 150mg

hanshan
04-09-12, 10:09
Hi David,

Good to hear that pregabalin seems to be continuing to limit your anxiety. Not so good to hear about the work stress and lack of motivation.

My experience is that pregabalin may contribute to a slight levelling out of all feelings, but not to the extent of feeling demotivated. Perhaps your new AD will help. I've read that motivation is related to dopamine, but I'm no expert here.

In my experience, solving one problem for me has simply unleashed another that had been hiding in the background. But overall, the path has been forward.

Take care (or as they say in Japan - I'm learning - Ki o tsukete, ne).

Hanshan

Ando1967
04-09-12, 22:32
Yes - I think you are correct Hanshan- I feel that each drug that seems to work for me fills in part of the puzzle. The pregabalin so far has been a real success stroy - I have been amazed by the effect it has had on my anxiety. Having said this it is by no means a panacea for my psychiatric issues- it has removed a very significant and debilitating component of my disease which has almost clarified what other elements are there to be tackled. The depression and motivation issues are high on the list - I have actually started a new AD which has more of an effect on dopamine (for reasons you eluded to this may help). If I can crack this and if the pregabalin continues to work it will be amazing. Half my life has been consumed by these conditions- no real regrets - it has been colourful if somewhat painful at times but i really want the last bit of my life to be played out more in the real world than inside my head (or put another way that an Ozzie might understand i want to escape from Leunig's Whale of Doom)
Thanks for the Japanese lesson No.2
David

---------- Post added at 22:32 ---------- Previous post was at 19:59 ----------

Day 22 Tuesday 3-09-2012

Sleep cycle seems way off the wall – i.e. still wide awake at 6 am – just lying in bed waiting for sleep – mood improved – no anxiety – motivation also increasing but just can’t sleep
My Doctors don’t seem to take this seriously- since I was a little boy- I have never slept – the average time to sleep over my whole life has probably been about ~ 3 hours- at present it is 5-6 hrs
Without getting into some type of sleep pattern my life (esp. work which is becoming precarious) is out the window

7am Pregabalin 150mg
8pm Pregabalin 150mg

hanshan
05-09-12, 09:43
Hi David,

Leunig - the drug-free antidote to gloominess. One should always have a copy of classic Leunig cartoons by one's side to enlighten darker moments.

It's good to hear that pregabalin has worked for you - it doesn't for everyone. Hopefully the new AD will help restore motivation, and has the the melatonin arrived? It may help with sleep onset.

As for the doctors not seeming to be worried about your sleep problem, I long ago formed the view that if doctors had no cure for a condition, but they knew it was not life threatening, they invariably dismissed it as a trivial complaint.

Or as they say in Japan - Oyasumi nasai - Good night (literally "Please rest").

Hanshan

Ando1967
06-09-12, 17:59
http://artblart.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/leunig-3am.jpg

---------- Post added at 17:59 ---------- Previous post was at 17:55 ----------

You are right Hanshan
This is my favourite (and I am partial on sardines on toast!)
David

hanshan
07-09-12, 11:41
Hi David,

I think I had this Leunig cartoon on a calendar a few years ago. It still brings a smile to my face.

Ando1967
10-09-12, 22:46
Week 4

Anxiety completely under control – really can’t believe how well the pregabalin is working. Sleep variable – generally need sleeping tablets to get some sleep but at least I am getting a bit more (Hanshan – I am still waiting for the mail-order melatonin to arrive!) - mood fairly low but maybe a bit better. Overall surviving – very positive re anxiety – just trying to rein the other wayward elements of my psyche!

7am Pregabalin 150mg
8pm Pregabalin 150mg

hanshan
11-09-12, 13:29
Hi David,

Good news to hear that the anxiety is under control.

If the new AD raises dopamine levels and motivation, it still may take three to four weeks from starting the AD for it to take effect.

Finally, hopefully the melatonin will arrive (and not the homeopathic variety).

Enjoy your sardines on toast.

Hanshan

Ando1967
17-09-12, 19:10
Week 5

Anxiety still under control but mood continues to spiral down - I am now virtually bedridden - I am not sure if this could be the pregabalin? I am going to reduce the dose to 75mg BID – I spoke to my psychiatrist re dopamine - she didn't seem to know about it (i.e. relative effects of different ADs and impact on motivation etc - i am serious she actually asmy asked me which AD I would recommend) Anyway I will see what happens with the new pregab dose!

7am Pregabalin 75mg
8pm Pregabalin 75mg

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/images/nmp/misc/progress.gif

hanshan
18-09-12, 13:54
Hi David,

I'm sorry to hear about the mood. I don't think it's directly caused by pregabalin. In my way of picturing things, pregabalin is like an eraser - sometimes it erases a bit too much, but it doesn't actually lower mood.

Have you tried bupropion as an AD? It's mainly marketed as an anti-smoking medication in Australia and possibly the UK, but it's the 4th highest prescribed AD in the US. It is an atypical AD with a fairly stimulatory profile.

Hope things get better soon.

Take care,

Hanshan

Danath
19-09-12, 02:11
Just read your thread from start to finish. Quite a transformation seems to be taking place, for the better. I've been trying to get a doctor to prescribe pregabalin two me for around 2 years now. the first claimed it was identical to Gabapentin (which he prescribed me instead when I asked for pregabalin). around 6 months ago I asked again at my new surgery. The doctor said she had contacted the head pharmacist who said it was not licensed for use on anxiety in this pct.

---------- Post added at 01:11 ---------- Previous post was at 01:08 ----------

I see another doctor today, same surgery. He has been agreeable to suggestions i've made previously. Hoping he will go ahead and make the prescrition.

hanshan
19-09-12, 12:40
Hi Danath,

Pregabalin is an approved medication for general anxiety in the UK, and has been since around 2006.

I'm not familiar with the health system in the UK, so maybe certain areas can set their own limitations. If they do so in the case of of pregabalin, it is probably due to cost rather than efficacy. Pfizer holds the patent (I thought it was due to expire, but I recently saw an expiry date of 2019), and presumably it charges as much as it can until the patent runs out.

Good luck, and keep in touch as to how your doctor's appointment goes.

Danath
20-09-12, 04:42
Well would you believe it? despite the cost, which we discussed, Dr. Evil, God save him, actually went ahead and prescribed the stuff! Yes Hanshan I agree thats the case, however despite it's indication for this use,
in the UK, you'd be amazed at how many professionals i've shocked by pointing out its use in this field, it has lead to much rumagging through BNFs(drug book) by them when ive pointed it out. anyway, this is Ando's thread so I won't spam it. I eagerly watch your progress brother. rest easy.

hanshan
20-09-12, 11:33
Hi Danath,

Good news that you were able to get pregabalin prescribed. I hope you can start a thread saying how you go.

Pregabalin is not approved for general anxiety in the US, which may account for some of the lack of knowledge of UK-based physicians, as much of their info comes from the US. Also, the manufacturers of pregablin's precursor, gabapentin, got into trouble for marketing it to doctors for unapproved purposes. This may have resulted in an over-degree of caution in marketing pregabalin - I don't know.

Anyway, hope to hear how you are going in your own thread.

hanshan
24-09-12, 02:52
Hi David,

How are you going? You haven't posted for a few days.

Hanshan

Ando1967
28-09-12, 01:10
Hi Hanshan and Danath
I think there is a general lack of knowledge re the efficacy of this drug for anxiety amongst GPs (in the UK anyway). My GP told me he uses it a lot for fibromyalgia but had NEVER used it for anxiety (he was also busy rummaging through the BNF)- as Hanshan mentions cost may be an issue here. I don't know if the pregabalin caused me to wobble a bit on the depression front (the psych said this can happen )- now that I have reduced it to 75mg BID my depression has lifted a little (okay in reality it's still very bad - HAMD rating ~ 33) but i'm still here and the anxiety is controlled - maybe I am lucky and this drug just really works for me even at low doses. I still feel the waves of anxiety but it's like a heavy mental blanket has been tossed over it -I sometimes feel it's wrestling below the surface but i can live with that - it's very rare for it ever to become part of my "reality" if that makes sense. It's atrocious that you have had to fight so hard and for so long to get a trial of this med Danath- I really hope it works for you - please let us know. It would also be good to know how you are going Hanshan. Take care - David

---------- Post added at 01:06 ---------- Previous post was at 01:03 ----------

p.s. Hanshan I have tried buproprion "off label" in the past - had some minor side effects and didn't persist but I am giving it another go
We will see
:-)

---------- Post added at 01:10 ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 ----------

p.s.(2) And the melatonin (not the homeopathic variety) has arrived - so the battle is being waged on all fronts

hanshan
29-09-12, 11:11
Hi David,

Good to hear that there's some good news - the arrival of the melatonin, and the possibility of bupropion working the second time around. Keep us all posted.

I think GPs generally are very conservative with new medications - they move in a herd, with no-one wanting to stick their neck out (if that isn't mixing metaphors too much).

As for me, next week is the beginning of the new term at the institution I'm teaching English at, so back into it. There are various stresses, but most of them have a deadline point to meet - having achieved that, the stress is gone. Also, they are productive stresses, in that, once met, they have a positive outcome. Of course, there is always the ongoing stress of being a linguistically challenged foreigner bumbling around in Japan, trying to communicate at a level less than a five year old child, but then you've got to be a bit crazy..

Don't give up hope. There's always something around the next corner.

Hanshan