PDA

View Full Version : How would you tell your work colleagues you have anxiety?

Sparkle1984
15-08-12, 13:21
I've been signed off work sick this week. This is the first time this has ever happened to me. My manager knows it's due to anxiety disorder as I had to send him a copy of my doctor's certificate and he seemed fairly understanding, which was a relief.

However, when I go back to work next week I'm wondering what my colleagues will say. Will they ask me why I was off work and if I'm feeling better?

Apart from my manager, there is only one other colleague who I trust enough to tell the true reason for my absence. If he asks about it when I get to back to work, I'd probably say something like "I'm happy to tell you as I trust you, but we would need to go somewhere private to talk about it." I trust this particular colleague because I've sat next to him for 2 and a half years and I get on really well with him. I feel that he would understand and he has confided in me in the past when he has had problems (not anxiety but other things, such as when his girlfriend was searching for a job and I tried to give advice based on my personal experience).

All my other colleagues are friendly, but I don't feel like I know them well enough to tell them about my condition, and I'm not sure how they'd react. I would hate to make anyone feel awkward around me. So if any of my other colleagues ask why I was away from work, what should I say?

Richard1960
15-08-12, 13:30
Hi

In my opinion and expierience you have to be very careful what you say to work colleagues unless you REALLY trust them,despite mental health issues losing a lot of the stigma in recent years people and that includes work colleagues find it awkward to deal with.

And may well talk behind your back even if they do not to your face,if there is one colleague you regard as a personal friend i would perhaps confide in them,but myself i certainly would not tell them all.

Just tell them you were not well thats all they need to know.

Aprat from those that have suffrered mental health issues most that have not tend to have little sympathy,perhaps thats just my expierience though.

Richard.

kittikat
15-08-12, 13:35
Well, you could say you've had some personal issues to deal with, that will probably shut them up!! But it's a tough call. I had a breakdown last year and was off for 3 months, it was tough going back and trying to decide what to do. I took the bull by the horns and decided to be open and honest with all my colleagues and to be honest, it was probably the best thing I could have done. They were brilliant.

I think it's a very personal choice, you either talk about it or you don't. What ever you decide, don't make yourself more anxious over it. Good luck and hope you feel better soon. Kitti :)

Annie0904
15-08-12, 13:38
I must admit that I have been quite open about my anxiety and my colleagues know and are mostly very supportive. There are the odd ones who don't understand at all. If they ask about it I just tell them to imagine a time when they have been really afraid of something and how they felt. I tell them that is how I feel 24/7! The colleagues in my dept. know about it because I often burst into tears for no reason and they just say I'll go and put the kettle! I wish it would solve with a cup of tea but at least they feel they are doing something to help :)

Elle-Kay
15-08-12, 14:47
It is a difficult one. I was in a similar predicament to you a while ago (signed off with anxiety), although I ended up not returning to work as I decided that my job was heavily contributing to my anxiety. There is one of my ex-colleagues who knows about my anxiety, and that is because as it turned out she has suffered too. One other knows a little, but not the full story. I would not have been prepared to tell the others, even if I had stayed, as I felt that they were 'just' colleagues, whereas the one girl who does know, I would consider a friend. I'm pleased for you that your manager appears supportive - the main reason I left is because of how poorly I was treated by mine once she found out about my anxiety!

grace17
15-08-12, 16:06
Hello Sparkle1984 i think you should say just that you were
not well and had some personal matters you had to deal with
as if you feel you cannot trust eeryone and they are not understanding
it will probably be best to hold back and when your ready and you
feel you can trust them to a greater degree by talking to them one-to-one more
then you can tell them. :) hope this helps xxx

Donny
15-08-12, 16:11
I was and would advise you to be open and kinda-honest.

It helped me that everyone knew and I wasn't hiding it which would have made my anxiety worse trying to hide it like some dirty little secret.

I just told them that I had panic disorder and it stems from a slight chemical imbalance (close enough for anyone having a Google search to come up with that answer) but have started taking medication for it. I also told them that if I suddenly went quiet it was just the panic disorder.

I can understand peoples apprehension about telling others but if you put it across the way I did you don't have to mention anything about mental health.

And if anyone decides to judge you then screw them. there are many laws to protect people with health issues and that counts for physical and mental issues so don't worry too much.

reddevil
22-09-12, 15:14
I decided last month to tell my boss and fiends at work and I feel it was the best thing I did as they all now know and what situations worries me the most.

kt79
22-09-12, 15:55
When I told my friends about my anxiety and taking citaolpram it turned out that most of them were on it aswell! Anxiety and depression is alot more common than you think because we all kinda hide it cause we see it as a weekness. I bet if you tell your collegues, there will be others in a similar boat to you :)

reddevil
22-09-12, 16:37
I found that was the case as well.