PDA

View Full Version : Panic attacks out of the blue - can anyone advise?

Mitya
15-08-12, 14:35
Hello, there

I came across this site whilst searching for help with my current problem - or shall we say challenge. It's reassuring (yet also unfortunate) to find there are many others with similar issues.

I have recently begun getting mild panic attacks. They take the form of increased heart rate, flushed head and a fear of fainting.

They began after a recent period of illness. The reason is this: my illness first manifested itself as a near-fainting episode on an underground tube train. I then became ill for several weeks. I am over that now, but the fear of passing out stays with me.

I have good days and more difficult days. Yesterday I had no problem - this morning I had such an attack.

I consider myself mentally strong and I have very few stresses in my life that I am aware of. I have a great wife and family, and, crucially, love my job. I don't over-stretch myself (I've been working at home for weeks now, due to this). I am a positive thinker and avoid negativity wherever possible, in all its forms.

I have begun yoga and meditation as a means to control this. Themes like self acceptance, inner peace and forgiving whatever has caused this, surface often in materials I read. On the advice of someone else, I am trying to focus on what I want (to live my days normally) rather than on what I don't want (the panic) - dwelling on the latter only makes more likely its appearance.

I am just wondering if anyone can associate with what I have described or has been through a similar thing.

One message of hope I can give is that I have been told panic attacks are not dangerous. Yes, they are scary, but they are just a natural response to perceived danger.

Thanks in advance, guys
Mitya

p.s. I'm 32, tee-total, don't smoke or do drugs, have no more than one drink containing caffeine a day, and exercise.

nomorepanic
15-08-12, 14:45
Hi Mitya

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

Julietta
15-08-12, 15:02
Hi Mity,

I'm a panic sufferer too..altho it's been a very long time since I had a panic attack. They came totally out of the blue about 5 years ago..during a very very stressful time in my life..first thing I did was read about them...read read and read some more..til I knew panic inside out...then it seemed to loosen it's grip on me..it wasn't this mystical force anymore that I knew nothing about and I lived in terror of.....the one book that helped me more than any other was 'At last a life' by Paul David an ex sufferer.. it's only available on ebay I think..I do keep harping on about this book but it is that good!!
You say panic came at a time of illness..hopefully you're all recovered from that now..so if the illness is gone panic will soon be on it's way too : ) it does take time..a couple of years in my case..sloooowly but surely panic has slipped away..the stress went away and panic followed..don't expect it to go as quick as it came then you won't be disappointed..it WILL fade away..Best wishes : )

PS if you can cut caffeine out totally even one coffee will have a big effect on you.. even though I'm almost panic free (I daren't say totally panic free) I find caffeine still has a bad effect on me...makes my heart race and feel very short of breath.

Mitya
20-08-12, 09:42
Thanks for the replies.

@Nicola - thank for you this site. I have been reading the resources and they have already helped me.

@Julietta - thanks for sharing your experience. I have since cut out caffeine entirely; decaf coffee and tea, and even those rarely during the day.

One question I have is this: everything I read suggests panic attacks are normally triggered by certain places or situations where you either once had a panic attack or otherwise recall some negative memories. But actually mine often happen right here at home! Does that mean I have some association with the place, or can it just happen anywhere?

Another thing I read is that you cannot induce a panic attack. I'm not sure I would agree here. If I feel on edge, I feel like if I think about fainting then it will get much worse. I'm quite sure I could invoke it. Only by practising techniques, breathing exercises or applying positive mental thought, can I stave it off. (But then of course they say you shouldn't stave it off but just let it happen. I digress...)

Anyone got any comments about either of these points?

Thanks again