PDA

View Full Version : Does your pet help your anxiety?

busybee09
15-08-12, 15:34
I really find that my cat and dog (as silly as it sounds) help me come back down to earth sometimes, i feel safe with them and as though there not judging me.
Anyone else feel like this?

blue moon
16-08-12, 13:28
Hello:DAnimals are known to lower B/P and help with stress and anxiety.I would love pet but we rent home that does not allow them so I visit pet shop and pat the dogs and cats.if i could I would have a Jack Russell,people next door have one and I love her.
Petra x:)

Annie0904
16-08-12, 13:31
I have a cat and he knows when I am not well, he is very protective of me and even when I go to the bathroom he waits outside the door for me or sits on the edge of the bath when I am in it. He is the only company I have some days.

kittikat
16-08-12, 13:39
My cats are very 'in tune' with me and seem to know if I am having a bad day. I find them a great comfort. Kitti :)

blue moon
16-08-12, 13:40
Before I move here I had a dog that use to do the same Annie,she always new when I was unwell also sit on bathroom mat while i took shower......Oh I miss her:weep:

magic girl
18-08-12, 21:51
i have a cat and a dog who i love so much my dog really helps me when i become agrophobic as i have to go out and walk her but i feel safe when she's with me but i find animals in general make me happy i know most of the cats and dogs i see on my dog walk route and i always stop and stroke them also recently i have made friends with a gorgeous horse in a field i pass she always comes over when she see's me at the gate :D

blue October
18-08-12, 21:57
This is my little fella, he's very understanding and happy to try and push me out of bed.
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e352/partx/miller-4.jpg

magic girl
18-08-12, 22:20
he's gorgeous xx:yesyes:

swgrl09
19-08-12, 01:50
So cute! I love animals. I have a cat who somehow knows when I am having a freak out and comes and snuggles with me. But I would love a dog too .. just no room for one in my apartment right now.

Granny Primark
19-08-12, 10:32
I adore animals.
I have a shizhu name stanley, a cat name minnie and 2 guinee pigs name edna and gladys. ( they are named after my mum and mum in law)
Im certain they help with reducing stress.

t0rt01se36
19-08-12, 14:42
I look after my Sister's Spanador - dog, sometimes. Poppy the Dog has helped me so much with my general anxiety and social anxiety, because when I take her for a walk, I feel safe. I have germs issues which I have overcome by picking up dog poo:shades:. Also Poppy has helped me through my depression.:):woof

teez
19-08-12, 15:43
http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m532/Treez1963/th_P1000379.jpg (http://s1130.photobucket.com/albums/m532/Treez1963/?action=view&current=P1000379.jpg)

---------- Post added at 15:43 ---------- Previous post was at 15:41 ----------

these three keep me sane and drag me out the house on my worst agoraphobic days,,i feel safe when their around and its through them that i can stay alone when hubby goes out,,the jack russel willow knows when im stressed and will curl up close till its passed im very lucky to have them

magic girl
19-08-12, 21:32
i often would rather have the company of animals rather than people as they don't judge you they don't care what you look like or what you have or have'nt got and are always willing to listen and are always pleased to see you :D

Annie0904
19-08-12, 21:35
My cat Chai is a great comfort to me

Zingything
20-08-12, 07:25
That's a cute photo Annie.
I have two cats and can't imagine life without them. On bad days they are responsible for keeping me going. They're funny and have very different personalities. They follow me about, give me cuddles and sometimes drool on me when they're content sat on my lap. Yes they do relieve my anxiety somewhat I have to say.

PanicPod
20-08-12, 07:52
My dog, Seren, is snoring soundly on the bed as I type. She is always there to stroke and cuddle. I so miss my old dog Ben, who really did understand and know when I was feeling down. I had him from the rescue centre 6 months after my first husband died from cancer and I can honestly say that he was my very best friend through my dark days of bereavement and depression.

Gatsby
20-08-12, 19:39
At first my kitten was a huge cause of anxiety, but have noticed just a cuddle makes me feel hell'a better! My dog, who sadly passed in february, would always know when I needed a cuddle. So yes my pets have and are helping with my anxiety!

Amandala
20-08-12, 23:16
My little shih tzu is the best to cuddle with when I have my "moments". Only thing is, she's getting older and if she does one thing that I see as being "off" I immediately start panicking about her health! Today she puked a little while I was at work, dogs vomit sometimes, its normal and I know that, but the thought of her being sick and something happening to her scares me to death!!

Zingything
21-08-12, 09:48
Amandala I know exactly what you mean, my cats are now over 15 years old, they're very healthy I have to say but I can tell that they are slowing down. One cat snores when she's sleeping, she goes into a very deep sleep, and if I notice she has stopped snoring I actualy wake her up to make sure she's alive, ridiculous I know, poor cat doesn't know what's going on haaaaa.
One evening one cat was sick, which isn't unusual for cats, but she also lost her appetite. Instead of waiting until morning and taking her to the vet I took her to the out of hours emergency vets many miles away. She just had an upset tummy and antibiotics cleared it up. They charged an additional £100 on top of the normal vets fees for the convenience. I wouldn't have slept that night though had I not taken her so money wasn't an issue, I'd have paid anything to make sure she was ok. There should be a forum on here for Pet Health Anxiety!

Dizzzie
21-08-12, 13:23
I don't have any pets but have found for me when I get that achy feeling start to come on in chest that hot water bottle directly in the area helps to soothe the ache this calming down the thought that something bad is going to happen