PDA

View Full Version : Help please

dazzler1976
15-08-12, 16:24
Hi guys,
Am new to posting here, but have hovered around for a while reading and have been helped immensely by the threads on this forum.
I am 36 years old and over the past 6 months have suffered from anxiety, particularly related to my heart and very bizarrely dying!!.
My family history is good, with everyone living to an old age.
Recently i have started to experience ectopic/missed beats and they are scary. I am also a paramedic which hasnt helped, because as they say a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!. My GP has referred me to cardiology, but i think he's just humouring me, but at least i'll get it checked properly.
I hate the feeling and the anxiety. Any advice on how to help? Ive got relaxation apps on my phone which are great, and am sometimes ok until i feel an ectopic then you panic again!. I have also giving up exercise, of which i used to do a lot.
Thanks for listening
Darren

Pipkin
15-08-12, 16:38
Hi Darren and :welcome:

Irregular heart beats are very common with anxiety - I get them and so does my GP (so he tells me). I know how frightening they can be. It's always worth getting your heart checked out so you're doing the right thing. The problem with anxiety is that you get physical symptoms and then worry about them, making your anxiety and the symptoms worse. It's a vicious circle. Try your best to take reassurance from your GP and, if you haven't already, read through this article on here which helps to explain what's going on:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/articles/palpitations/

Take care

Pip