PDA

View Full Version : Please help..panic attack??

Pacific
15-08-12, 20:53
When i dont have anything to do i feel anxiety building up and it gets to a point were i get really anxious like panic feeling. I will feel like im not really here and get thoughts like am i really here and i freak out my heart starts beating very fast, i start sweating, i get warm wave feeling over me like my head is on fire, cant think straight, feel like im losing control or losing conciousness and will never feel normal again but nothing ever happens i had this feeling many times always lasts a few minutes then it goes away and i feel somewhat normal again.

but when i have it its the worst feeling i cant even discribe it its like im not even here and i feel a wave of panic like im going to pass out etc. i had it many times but it still scary. can someone help please i need reassurance???? I just want to feel normal! its so frustrating

---------- Post added at 19:53 ---------- Previous post was at 19:49 ----------

its like waves of panic ..it lasts for few mins only but feels very overwhelming n uncomfortable..its a horrible feeling..help

rockydog
15-08-12, 21:03
Hi there yeah i have had this in the past and its horrible and very scary, but you do always survive it and n what it is when it comes back. The only real way over it is to stop fearing it by reminding yourself you have had it all before and nothing came of it (easier said than done) but i know how you feel x

livingwithmyself
15-08-12, 21:03
hi. i am new! i am not sure i can offer any reassurance other than massive :hugs::hugs: as i know how awful panic attacks are! the best thing you can do is try to remember that they hit a peak + then they come back down again. but i know thats not helpful when you in the middle of it! try to free your mind from any thoughts. if you're anything like me you will tell yourself things that make it worse in your head - try to clear your mind + just ride with it. i have been looking up buddhism stuff and that has helped a bit with the way of clearing your mind. :hugs::hugs: have you seen your doctor?
but i do know absolutely how bad they are!! sorry, no help at all! :hugs::hugs:

Pacific
15-08-12, 21:07
thanks i always survive, but when i have it i think what if this time is different and i wont survive it.. and then it only makes it worse.. im so frustrated with myself

rockydog
15-08-12, 21:13
Well you know now whats making it worse, its your thoughts so try and make a real effort to be prepared for the next one and change that what if thought with , yeah ok its here but i will be ok (even if you dont believe it) and see how that goes. Yu seem to know that your current thinking isnt helping so give the opposite a chance ?
One thing i was told from someone helping me out was when you feel it coming on quickly put your face in freezing water and it will shock your system into reacting to that rather than the panic. It worked for me a few times :)

Pacific
15-08-12, 21:18
defenitly gonna try the cold water thing next time that sounds like it could work very good idea^

rockydog
15-08-12, 22:10
Apparently it gives your body something else to react to so if you have caused adrenalin to go round your body then it helps reverse it, hope it helps x

RLR
16-08-12, 02:24
Okay, the sensorium you are experiencing is merely a panic threshold event, more commonly characterized as a "panic attack" and arises subsequent to the gradual buildup of distorted sensory feedback in the presence of anxiety. It is most often engaged by the initial detection of the sensory distortion of variable intensity which produces cognitive vigilance and escalating fear that something is going wrong. The rapidly ascending fear produces physiological change, as well as momentarily altered neurochemistry, the combination of which results in a threshold event. The panic events are enabled within the context of significant and chronic anxiety, which imparts influence upon the central nervous system. Episodic events associated with the disorder are both limited to several minutes duration in most instances and of entirely benign origin.

Immersing your face in cold water actually produces a phenomenon known as Mammalian dive reflex, which produces stimulation of the vagus nerve and subsequently slows the heart rate in a very brief period. The reduction in heart rate typically results in a calming effect and fears of further escalation are commonly abated. It is a physiological response common in all mammals and works quite well in cases of panic threshold events.

You'll be fine. The events cannot cause you any actual harm nor place you at risk for any other eventuality other than the experience of the symptoms themselves. If you continue to experience the events regularly and you are a female in the age range of 20 to 30, then it's merely advisable to make mention of the circumstances to you primary care physician. Panic events can occur in young women of the age group mentioned as a consequence of Mitral Valve Prolapse, although I doubt it's the case in your particular instance. Also realize that MVP is not life-threatening at all.

Best regards,

Rutheford Rane, MD (ret.)