PDA

View Full Version : So little consistency over Diazepam prescription

Jonz
16-08-12, 00:16
I've seen so many stories on here about Doctors refusing to prescribe Diazepam, or giving very low (2mg) doses in tiny quantities. Yesterday I went to my doctor because my anxiety has reached a crisis point and as well as changing me from Citalopram to Sertraline she prescribed me 100 5mg Diazepam tablets, telling me to take four a day for a week, then three and so on. I voiced my concerns about addiction and she said there are too many scare stories and that from being over-prescribed in the seventies they are now under-prescribed and people suffer unnecessarily. She said they are a good drug and with a dose tapered over a few weeks I will have no problems. She said they will give me the head space to begin to challenge my thought processes. I also have a therapist so am attacking my anxiety from as many angles as I can.

I just find it strange that different gps have such divergent views on Diazepam - I think it's time that a little more consistency was employed amongst healthcare professionals. I know every case presented is different, but at the moment it just seems like a lottery!

uk23
16-08-12, 22:22
totally agree, some gps at my practice wont even consider prescribing them, 1 is more helpful and understands they have a great use when not abused.

kittikat
16-08-12, 22:54
Diazepam has been a lifesaver for me and have definitely given me that well needed 'head space'. I do agree there are very conflicting views on it and quite a lot of scaremongery. If used as prescribed by your GP you will be fine. I have actually been on them since last November, 12mg a day recently upped to 15mg daily due to a new 'crisis'. I have no worries re addiction or tolerance. They help me and have certainly contributed to me being able to regain some control over my anxieties along with weekly CBT sessions.

Kitti :)

uk23
17-08-12, 00:10
Wow, 15mg a day! For some odd reason I am ultra sensative to opiates, benzos, first gen antihistamines - basically any drug which causes sedation. 5mg of diazepam either:

1) Makes me really anxious because i feel too relaxed in a way
OR
2) Sends me straight to sleep

It's the same with ONE codydramol (10mg). It's annoying and I don't know why. Anyway sorry for hijacking your thread :p

grotbags
20-08-12, 20:51
Yes, this inconsistency is annoying. My last GP absolutely refused to continue my prescription, and put me through so much stress as a result. I was sent to a psychiatrist who I thought was an absolute nutter and I would describe his attitude as cruel. He gave me the creeps and I still worry about his patients and what sort of effect he'll be having on them. He said I was dependent on Valium (I currently use it two or three times a month on average if I do something that pushes my boundaries) and refused to prescribe it.

Then I moved house and changed surgeries and my new GP gave it to me without any issues. She said it was obvious I was using it very occasionally and given my history (13 years of panic disorder and bouts of extreme agoraphobia) she was fine with prescribing it.

It's ridiculous. Everyone seems so scared of getting sued and I'm sure that's what it boils down to.

Buspass5
25-08-12, 02:04
I've used Diazepam for 25-30 years at 8 mgs per day. It's never ever caused me any problems & has helped me cope with life & the ability to hold down regular employment over this period of time. IF I could give up work or perhaps take a sabbatical for 6 months to a year, I'm sure I could come off the tablets completely. However I have a huge social phobia that would make my working life impossible without the medication.
I've been with same GP for 20 years & he has advised me to try & cut down but it's something I've not been able to do. Amazingly, over all these years I've always carried them with me in my pocket & only misplaced them once when I accidentally dropped them at work behind my chair & the cleaners left them on my desk the following morning.
I would prefer not to be reliant on this medicine but there are other sick people that need daily medication & for me, I fall into the same category. I'm no longer ashamed of taking them (though only my wife knows about them). I don't see why there should be a social stigma attached to them as my 'illness' is as real as a physical illness. Hopefully in this modern 'pc' world people can understand such problems exist & anyone can be affected by 'anxiety' which requires medication.

Tufty
25-08-12, 09:47
Great posts guys and agree whole heartedly.
I'm not a regular Diazepam user but I've always got some in my cupboard and it's saved me on many occasions.
It seems that docs fear, lack of experience, knowledge and understanding makes them reluctant to prescribe this medication.
If it works and helps you function and live your life that's what matters.

Anxious_gal
25-08-12, 10:12
I find that if I ask for it, they are reluctant to give it to me, maybe assume I am drug seeking?
Then I don't want want they try to insist on me taking it to help my anxiety :/

I last had 10 pills, over 8 months ago. Which the doctor insisted on.
Then I asked for more, simply because my anxiety was really bad, but nope I was refused :(
I was in such a bad state for a few days, pure F'ing hell :( I finally overcame it but it was awful feeling so abandoned by the medical profession.

Buspass5
26-08-12, 03:00
I find it disgusting that a Dr can refuse to prescribe diazepam when they know the stress it's going to cause a suffering patient. I can understand their view that it is addictive & it's better to 'pull yourself together with a cold shower & a 5 mile run' - BUT some people may become suicidal without this prescription. I know myself that if my medicine was withdrawn I would 100% certainly NOT be able to work & would have to find an alternative to the medicine, be it alcohol, strong pain killers or perhaps attempt to buy 'illegal' drugs. A Dr should never put a patient in this position unless for example the patient was caught selling his medicine. It would be like taking away an inhaler from an asthma sufferer, or insulin from a diabetic. It's very dangerous to withdraw or even cut down on medicines taken over a long period of time & surely,most Drs recognise this.

swgrl09
26-08-12, 03:12
this is quite interesting. i was just prescribed this for the first time yesterday and given 2 mg pills, told to cut them in half so taking 1 mg at a time! i was worried they would make me high or something, but i guess i really don't have anything to worry about at that low of a dose, will they even be effective?