PDA

View Full Version : Over this panic.

bukendaa
16-08-12, 13:09
For the last 4 months....I've been severely housebound with agoraphobia. I'm just sick of it...I walked down my street half a hour ago and had a panic atack were I fell derelization and depersilization. It doesn't last all that long but it's still scary all the same...I need help. I can't see a Dr. Because I'm housebound. I've been a member of this forum for 4 years that's when my panic and problems started but I have never been so tormented by anxiety like this in my life. I read up on agoraphobia on the page and it said that long exposure is best. I haven't tried this yet. I usually hurry back to my "safe zone" as quick as I can when I fell scared out on the street. What do I do can I recover from this it fells like I'm stuck in this prison forever...:weep:

Donny
16-08-12, 15:56
Hi Bukendaa

I am not long recovered from agoraphobia and sadly you do have to do exposure training to beat it.

It does not have to be long times out to begin with though. I started by going out the front door of my house and then going round the back and in that door. I did that until there was no fear.

I then started to go longer and longer walks to the point that after two weeks the barriers to travelling were just crumbling down. Just ask a few folk on here. I couldn't leave the house 6 weeks ago and now can go to different towns on trains myself.

Indiepoos
16-08-12, 16:21
I've been through periods of not leaving my house for up to 5 months or more, I know how crazy it makes you feel and how worthless.
Days when I've been able to tackle my fear are when I get dressed the night before and as soon as I wake up I go out without giving myself time to think about or doubt myself.
Also I try to just sit outside my front door sometimes and I see all the people living their lives, walking past without even thinking about it.
And having someone to go out with is always helpful but I understand that that's not always an option, being agoraphobic tends to push people away to the point where (like myself) you have little to no people to count on or call friends.
Also try early morning when not many people are out, and times when it's raining so you can hide under a hood and again there probably won't be many people around.
Message me if you need to, it's nice to speak to other agoraphobics.

Good luck x

bukendaa
16-08-12, 17:01
Hi Bukendaa

I am not long recovered from agoraphobia and sadly you do have to do exposure training to beat it.

It does not have to be long times out to begin with though. I started by going out the front door of my house and then going round the back and in that door. I did that until there was no fear.

I then started to go longer and longer walks to the point that after two weeks the barriers to travelling were just crumbling down. Just ask a few folk on here. I couldn't leave the house 6 weeks ago and now can go to different towns on trains myself.

Wow that is excellent..very inspiring. I know I have to get ontop of this and not let it beat me. Thank you all for your support:)

I've been through periods of not leaving my house for up to 5 months or more, I know how crazy it makes you feel and how worthless.
Days when I've been able to tackle my fear are when I get dressed the night before and as soon as I wake up I go out without giving myself time to think about or doubt myself.
Also I try to just sit outside my front door sometimes and I see all the people living their lives, walking past without even thinking about it.
And having someone to go out with is always helpful but I understand that that's not always an option, being agoraphobic tends to push people away to the point where (like myself) you have little to no people to count on or call friends.
Also try early morning when not many people are out, and times when it's raining so you can hide under a hood and again there probably won't be many people around.
Message me if you need to, it's nice to speak to other agoraphobics.

Good luck x

I will try that even if it's just for a short distance and just stay out as long as I can. Thank you heaps :)

Donny
16-08-12, 19:31
Wow that is excellent..very inspiring. I know I have to get ontop of this and not let it beat me. Thank you all for your support:)

I will try that even if it's just for a short distance and just stay out as long as I can. Thank you heaps :)

You will have the odd rotten day where you just cant get out. Even if you have been doing great. The trick is just to accept it as a bad day and don't let it set you back. if you can do that you will keep getting better.