PDA

View Full Version : Is there any meds that can actually help with anxiety??

SheilaH921
16-08-12, 19:02
I have HA and have been put on propranolol 10mg 3 times a day. So far i havent noticed a difference although its been less than 2 weeks since i started it. My mum thinks i should take antidepressants, i was given them before but didnt end up taking them.

I just want to know if there is a med that people kn ow from experience that makes a difference?? I just think when im freaking out thinking i have a serious illness i really dont know how any med can really stop me being like that??

I have a docs app on monday and im going to ask him what he thinks will help me. I want to be referred for therapy but in the meantime would like to take something that might help me as i really cant continue the way i am

---------- Post added at 19:02 ---------- Previous post was at 19:00 ----------

Does anyone know if propranolol can help as that what ive currently been put on, or would i need a higher dose?

---------- Post added at 19:02 ---------- Previous post was at 19:02 ----------

abby38
16-08-12, 23:15
I'm no expert on meds I'm afraid but I was on citalopram for a few years and they really helped with my anxiety/panic attacks but not sure if they help with ha sorry. Came off them when I fell pregnant. Really think I need to start back on some medication. Can't stand feeling like this.

SheilaH921
16-08-12, 23:40
i really want another baby but really think i couldnt cope with the way i am atm. Thats another reason i really want to get better..

laura442
17-08-12, 08:31
I have been on escitralopram 5mg for 12 days now for Ha and panic disorder I already and not worrying about my heart or anything health realated. I went for that after a bad time of se's on cit. Esc has been proven the ssri with least se's which is really important for someone with HA. I haven been on prozac before too and the only way I can explain it they just make you feel back to normal. x

matrix123
17-08-12, 09:37
Xanax has worked pretty good for me...there's a risk of being addicted...but I'm willing to take it

blueangel
17-08-12, 09:55
The important thing to know about any sort of anxiety is that there is no "total cure" for it - it's about learning to manage it.

Anxiety is a response to something that we see as a danger and it's been programmed into us for many thousands of years, since we used to have to dodge bears and sabre-tooth tigers. If we didn't have this response in the modern world, we'd soon end up dead as we'd walk under a car.

However, what happens with anxiety, whether it's the result of health anxiety, social phobia or whatever, is that our brains become programmed to over-react to stressful situations. Then it gets out of control and we start not being able to cope with life.

Medication can help with the symptoms of anxiety - as you're taking beta-blockers, these damp down the physical symptoms like palpitations, but they don't affect your brain chemistry in the same way that an anti-depressant would. Anti-depressants help to restore the chemical balance in the brain, which helps the anxiety symptoms.

This doesn't deal with the cause though, and this is the root of the problem. Many people find that the best approach is to combine medication with some sort of talk therapy, such as CBT as then you can look at the real reasons for the anxiety and try to retrain your brain.

Hope this helps!

SheilaH921
17-08-12, 11:11
Thanks, this does explain it for me. Thats what im thinking, that you need to get to the root of the problem aswell. I was given antidepressants and didnt wana take them but maybe i will. I dont know how long the waiting list will be for therapy x

laura442
17-08-12, 15:40
I think it depends at what stage you are at, I was at the point where I was anxious all day everyday couldnt leave the house and in tears constantly and felt suicidal so for me I tablets were almost a neccessity, I trust the people around me and my family and other half and the doctor was telling me I needed to take anti-depressants. I knew n my heart that something was wrong with the chemicals in my brain and the tablets are helping now to readress that. I didnt want to take them, I hate the thought of any medication but I am also not ashamed that I need them. You know your situation and need to judge it by how its all affecting your life and to what degree xxx

SheilaH921
17-08-12, 16:18
Its annoying because i tell myself im ok, but its only because i dont have any aches,pains,symptoms. It could be a different story tomorrow or next week. It was only a few days ago i was convinced i had a brain tumour. I dont know how long itl be until the next time...