PDA

View Full Version : Advice re: parent with depression

debbsi
16-08-12, 19:11
Hi all

Ive suffered with anxiety myself for as long as i can remember with bouts of mild depression over the years. Ive sought help for it and following lots of reading, meditation and cbt I feel that I am coping well with it and the future looks good.

However my post is regarding my mother. Both my parents and grandmother have suffered with anxiety and depression all of my life which not suprisingly has had a massive impact on myself.

My dad takes medication, my grandmother who is 91 also takes meds but my mum has tried and could not cope with the side effects (i have also tried and am therefore very understanding with this as I couldnt cope with it either). I have suggested both her and my dad ask to be referred for cbt but she just changes the subject. She complains endlessly about the strain of coping with my grandmother who also IMO has dementia and with my dad who has been having probs with his meds. I totally understand this but every time I offer any form of advice (and i feel qualified to do this) she just isnt interested.

Ive put up with this for many many years and often when i see her her tone of voice or look she gives me just makes me feel bad - i either think there must be something wrong so i worry or im just angry that she wont accept any help.

I know its hard for her - i am quite knowledgeable about the subject (MH professional in training) but should I feel so angry with her? is that really bad of me? she has no idea i feel like this. I sometimes avoid contact with her as she gets me down - then i feel guilty for doing that!

Any advice greatly appreciated xxxx