PDA

View Full Version : New Member from the US

sydno
17-08-12, 00:48
Just found this site and can't believe how helpful it is. Have been living (not happily) with health anxiety for almost 5 years now but when thinking back on it, for much longer than that. After my son was born almost 5 years ago, I developed high blood pressure, had many tests and all doctor including cardiologist said it was transient and just happens from time to time and should resolve itself. It did, but I developed an intense fear of dying from a heart attack, stroke, some form of cancer etc..combined with panic attacks, it was just sucking the life from me. I always have something, prior to an annual mammogram, I am sure I have breast cancer, a pain in my stomach or side is colon or ovarian cancer (my Mother was dignosed with colon cancer last year and had surgery and is fine no chemo even needed) which just increased my fear and panic. I feel isolated and like it's hard to enjoy life, I have 2 young fabulous kids and a caring supportive husband but this has just taken over, sometimes it's all I think about. Started cbt and lexapro and ativan for sleep. Am happy to have found this refuge.

nomorepanic
17-08-12, 01:01
Hi sydno

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

Ribbit
17-08-12, 10:13
Hi Sydno, I can sympathise completely as I have 2 young children and my fear of death is horrendous, which really started to get worse when I had my kids. I know, for me, it's my fear of leaving them, and I also hate the fact that I have no control over illness and disease.

It's sooo difficult to not let it take over your life, but I hope we both manage to find support and coping strategies on here with people who have the same problems.

sydno
17-08-12, 15:58
thanks for your reply ribbit, like you, my fear and panic over death, illness and disease really intensified after I had my children and I am always imagining leaving them and it just makes me so scared and sad. I currently have a pain in my left side towards my belly and for almost a month now have been certain I have colon cancer or ovarian cancer and cannot seem to get it out of my head, my dr. did blood work (which was normal) tested me for H.pylori (negative) and now I think I need an ultrasound or colonoscopy and I am just so tired of feeling this way, I too am hoping to gain some coping strategies from here and it's nice to know that I am not alone. thanks again for your response! be well.