PDA

View Full Version : Things are so hard...

Jonz
17-08-12, 21:45
I'm new here and have posted in a few threads - hope I'm not overdoing it - but it's just so novel to get things of my chest on a forum like this.

I started on Sertraline 100mg three days ago (switching from Citalopram which I've been on for years and which no longer seem to be working). Main bad side effect so far is nausea in the mornings, which I guess I can live with if it doesn't get any worse.

But I'm just finding it so hard to get through the day. I'm not actually anxious about any particular thing - I'm just *horribly* fearful all the time. And the lack of a cause is so distressing. Pointless obsessional thoughts too.

My mother is staying at the moment (she is 74 and slightly hard work) - we went for a meal this evening. Could I enjoy it? No. In fact, I felt so bad I had to go to the bathroom and burst into tears and had to take a Diazepam just to get through it.

I really hope that the Sertraline works in a few weeks - I don't know how much faith I have in it. But all I keep thinking is I can't face the rest of my life feeling like this. Which like all my thoughts just makes things worse. I seem to self-defeat everything I try and do - go for a long walk? I tell myself it won't work before I go and spend the whole walk feeling anxious.

I go back to work in a fortnight - part of me hopes it will get me back on an even keel, part of me is terrified I won't be able to cope.

Any words of encouragement, recognition or even virtual hugs would be much appreciated!

Jon

theharvestmouse
17-08-12, 22:36
I know that its difficult when you are feeling really anxious but there are lots of things you can do to try to ease anxiety. Don't rely on meds alone to get you through this because there are other changes you may need to make in life. Maybe you need to see about getting therapy, and you could make some other changes in your life.

Jonz
17-08-12, 22:47
Thanks for replying harvestmouse - you're right, I do need to make changes in my life. I do have a therapist, but I have this horribly negative mindset where I believe that everything I try will fail and so of course it does! Self-destructive, I know and somehow I have to try and shift that... just going round in crazy mental circles at the moment :-(