PDA

View Full Version : Scared I've got Stomach Cancer (Swollen abdomen)

Anxiety Jim
18-08-12, 20:56
Hi,

It's only just dawned on me that I've got the symptoms of stomach cancer! After eating for the last few months I've had a sharp pain at the bottom of my sternum, and I kept getting pain in my stomach, just below my ribs to the left, and it's swollen about the size of the palm of my hand.

I'm now terrified I've got stomach cancer, and I'm so angry I left the symptoms for so long about 4 - 5 months! I've been on different websites and it's virtually incurable, and they make you feel better for the remaining months! I'm so scared!

I'm so angry at my self for paying attention to so many other symptoms whilst this one has been there constantly!

I'm scared my GP will just tell me I'm too young for it (I'm 24) and send me home. When in fact 2% of cases are in those under 30.

I really don't want to die! I'm so scared!

---------- Post added at 20:56 ---------- Previous post was at 20:10 ----------

And I've just read that people with stomach cancer are more likely to get clots! Which is what I've been thinking I've got for a week!

I act ually can't cope like this, I'm so terrified that I'll go to my GP on Monday and he won't believe it's possible for me to have stomach cancer, and wont send me for further tests, which could take valuable weeks off my life...

:-(

Anxious_gal
18-08-12, 23:45
You got to recognize the pattern! You get a symptom, look it up and google, find the worst case scenario and then fear you might have it.

Ok so you'll go the doctor and have him feel your tummy, he's been trained to detect any abnormalities.

Honestly cancer is rare, and it could be so much else! GAS, IBS and so on.
All you have is pain and a swollen tummy!

Your problem is that your healthy anxiety is taking weeks off your life not the cancer that you think you have.

But be calm when you are in the doctors, if you mention cancer it will only highlight your anxiety. Just go in like a "normal" patient and explain your symptoms :)

Anxiety Jim
18-08-12, 23:59
Thanks Anxious Gal,

I'm trying really hard to believe it's something else, and that I'm over reacting because of my health anxiety. I've been to the doctors only 2 or 3 times in the last year, and I thought I was over my health anxiety for good! But this week, I've been to my GP and A+E thinking I've got a clot, my GP didn't seem too worried and, my blood test came back negative. Yet I'm still worried about it.

The thing I'm worried about with the cancer is that I think he'll assume I'm too young to have it and wont investigate it fully. I'm only 24, but I'm VERY obese, and I practically live of take-aways, except for the past week when I've barely eaten anything at all.

Anxious_gal
19-08-12, 00:33
two or 3 times a year, is pretty good considering your anxiety :)

Of course stomach cancer symptoms are very common too heh, but I would guess if someone had cancer the symptoms would be very bad and really affecting their life.

Anxiety Jim
19-08-12, 00:41
I read the stomach cancer symptoms are so mild they go unnoticed, and that's why stomach cancer is usually diagnosed so late! :-(

uk23
19-08-12, 01:34
Im starting to think that as well. I normally have a collection of pills I use which helps but when they dont and the bloating carries on i get so tired and so, so fed up with it all. Its taken all my mental strength.

Darwin73
19-08-12, 19:55
My dad had stomach cancer and the symptoms you describe are not like those he experienced. Incidentally, he is still here nearly 20 years later!

Anxiety Jim
19-08-12, 21:57
My other symptoms are lack of appetite (I'm praying this is anxiety related) as well as feeling full quickly, and burping a lot :-(

SheilaH921
19-08-12, 22:21
I think this forum is makin me read into things. Iv been giving people advice saying dont worry its prob just ibs etc and now im starting to read into my symptoms. My stomach is really bloated and everything i eat is giving me stomach cramps and running to the loo. Seriously it has to b abnormal how swollen my tummy is. Ughh im not even letting myself google it or il b freakin again :'(

Darwin73
19-08-12, 22:45
I wont say what symptom eventually took him off to the GP, but it wasn't feeling full quickly or burping a lot. Burping a lot can be caused by swallowing too much air, which is a well known effect of anxiety. I've suffered lack of appetite several times and each time it can be linked to a stressful event or worrying about something. When you're worried, you often don't feel like eating. Of course, it could be acid reflux or something like that, but you have seen your GP and they are not concerned, so I would try to go with what they say.

SheilaH921
19-08-12, 22:48
It wasnt being bloated was it? Im so worried now :'(

Anxiety Jim
19-08-12, 22:58
I wont say what symptom eventually took him off to the GP, but it wasn't feeling full quickly or burping a lot. Burping a lot can be caused by swallowing too much air, which is a well known effect of anxiety. I've suffered lack of appetite several times and each time it can be linked to a stressful event or worrying about something. When you're worried, you often don't feel like eating. Of course, it could be acid reflux or something like that, but you have seen your GP and they are not concerned, so I would try to go with what they say.

I'm glad it could be other things, and I'm glad that I don't seem to have the symptom that took him to the GP, unless it was yellow stools, because I've got that too. :-(

I haven't seen my GP yet, but I plan to tomorrow, if I can get to sleep at a sensible time (which is unlikely at the moment), because I have to ring first thing in the morning for a hope of getting an appointment the same day.

I'm really hoping it's IBS or something but I've convinces myself it's either, stomach cancer, pancreatic cancer, bowel cancer, or liver disease :-(

Darwin73
20-08-12, 14:30
No, it was nothing to do with IBS type symptoms/bloating or yellow stools. He does actually have IBS as well and has done since being a teenager and symptoms of this remained unchanged.

SheilaH921
20-08-12, 14:59
Ok thank you, i was scared u didnt reply cuz u didnt want me to know that that was the symptom. Thats HA for you, reading in to everything :(